Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Pack

Hunting Pack

I'm getting carried away here, but I want to be ready to go next Season and am starting to put together a day pack to take hunting.

What do you think are the -essential- contents of a hunting pack?

I'm just going to ramble here so in no particular order...

Map, Compas, Gps, Binoculars, Batteries, Gutting kit, First Aid kit, Food, Water, Emergency blanket, Lighter and firestarting sticks, Sweater, Touque, mitts, Toilet Paper, Hand Sanitizer, Ammo, Gun oil, leatherman, big orange garbage bags, ziplock bags, ... what else?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting Pack

camera, spotting scope (depending), extra knife, money, credit card,
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

camera, binos, snacks, rope, knife, firestarters and lighter, TP.

Flask of Wisers
    "If you want to hunt beasts you don't see every day,
    You have to go places quite out-of-the-way.
    You have to go places no others can get to,
    You have to get cold and you have to get wet, too."
    - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by BOOTS! View Post
    I'm getting carried away here

Map, Compas, Gps, Binoculars, Batteries, Gutting kit, First Aid kit, Food, Water, Emergency blanket, Lighter and firestarting sticks, Sweater, Touque, mitts, Toilet Paper, Hand Sanitizer, Ammo, Gun oil, leatherman, big orange garbage bags, ziplock bags, ... what else?
    loose the compass if you have gps and need the help, personally i would leave the gps batteries are a pain .get a LED flash light that should last what is a gutting kit??? a knife and sharpener, food (cliff builder bars 20gr protine), awsome. leave the hand sanitizer, take some booze it tasts better to toate the hunting gods other wise its pointless. your fire is the most important thing pay attn to what will make life easer if you need one ZIP in the indvidual packs is one i like just be sure you put it in a ziplock. sweater might add a lot of bulk and may not be really needed till late season mitts are a great idea but once again.... you need to dress in layers and put them in your pack as the day goes on. Water is the biggest pain in the ass but you will need it if there is no sorce near by. somthing to think about.

good hunting and be safe a year in planning and you should have it refined

LKY

Quote Originally Posted by SSSSter View Post
    Flask of Wisers
    Take a suitcase, at least it has a handle on it.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

I would recomend a good headlamp such as the petzl tikka to add to your list. Drag an animal out in the dark and you will realize the benefit of a flashlight. Drag an animal out in the dark with a flashlight and you will realize the beauty of a headlamp.

I used to carry all kinds of shit until two years ago when I tried a solo pack in trip for a goat. I learned while preparing for this trip most of what I carried was not required and just added needless weight. So I dropped alot of gear and saved alot of weight. If you are putting together a survival kit, it's just that. Pack only what you need to use if your in a pickle, and only carry what you need to deal with an animal once it's down.

Survival Kit
    Fire paste, matches, lighter "satisfies need for fire"

2 space blankets "satisfies need for shelter"

cliff bar/candy bar " I already carry food for the day, this is survival food only"

S.P.O.T "I can be found anywhere/anytime with this"

Small container with a few motrin, pepto tablets, water purification tabs

leatherman

Gear in Hunting Pack
    4 game bags
    40 feet of 1/8" rope
    knife/sharpener
    headlamp+handheld flashlight
    food/water for the day
    gps/map/compass
    bear spray
    cell phone
    appropriate clothing "coat/rain gear/touque/gloves" depending on the weather
    calls/scents depending on game I'm hunting

Thanks guys! I guess a Camera is something so damn obvious i completely over looked it.

The headlamp is a gee why didn't i think of that thing too. If deer are active mostly at dusk, it'll be dark on the way back to the truck for sure!

As for Rope, this is for dragging a kill to a suitable spot to put it in the truck? I can only imagine ow hard that would be on the shoulders and back without a proper harness though.

I usually pack some water, food, gps, hunting license, shooting stix, knife, saw, packable rain jacket, few extra rounds of ammo. My daypack is an Eberlestock X2 and I love it

"If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004