Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: duck hunting with no dog

Re: duck hunting with no dog

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
    That is an assumption. You have a very bold opinion and it is apparent in the comments you make. However, just because somebody can't have a dog or doesn't have a dog doesn't mean there are "sickening" amounts of ducks left behind. Do you have credible evidence to support that hunters without dogs lose more ducks than hunters with dogs? Probably not, I rest my case. What about fat slobs and road hunters? How much game do they wound and not recover. Lets jump to all sorts of irrational conclusions. Screw your head on straight.
    I think you only read the first message Dirty. Go back and read them all but #4 explains what went on a bit further.

"Your right Marc. I know there are tons of duck hunters who hunt without dogs and I'm not painting them all with the same brush.

It really chokes me though that these particular guys KNEW they could not retrieve the birds. They only carried out two, said they had killed more but couldn't get at them."

I have been further enlighten and educated by the folks who responded. Thank you.

My New Years Resolution is to "screw my head on straight."

Cheers Kasomor

Kasomor,

It looks like you are venting about a specific incident. Why didn't you observe, record, and report. Obviously these guys are not going to every possible effort to retrieve downed game. You should report them, at least a talk from the CO might put their ethics in check.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

I haven't hunted ducks for about 25 years. I would love to start again but only with a dog. I remember hunting with our little english springer and be walking along a dyke in Surrey and out he would come with a duck somebody couldn't find the night before. My golden is getting up in years and never retrieved anything. We got her at 14 months old and she was never interested in it. My kids are grown up and it will be time for another dog in a couple years for hunting and fishing and hanging out with.

First off I do not have a dog, so when I get ready to shoot my ducks I make sure I can retrieve them. Some times birds will fall into sloughts which is out of my control. So for that I have a fishing rod with a large spoon and 2 large hooks. I have only lost 2 birds in my 5 years of duck hunting.So what I am trying to say is that you dont need a dog you just need to think and have a plan.

Nano

a weight at the botom and a bunch of big trebles tied in tandom worked for me befor i got my pooch. same idea as you nano.

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    i dont know but that is a pretty wide brush if you ask me.
    maby you should have said what do you say to duck killers who dont retrieve their birds because they shoot them in places that make recovery impossible.
    pretty harsh post kasmor i like to think your better than that.
    what you say is " are you going to get all thoes cripples"

i hunt with a guy who shot a goose in a field, it jumped into a river and went. Larry (i kid you not) stripped down naked and swam after it in the first two weeks of october. Because he didnt have a dog and the bird didnt do as planned
    Kasomor

Iam with him. Your first posts sounds EXACTLY like you are painting all with the same brush. You then backtrcked and tried to change your position. You claimed people who hunt with-out a dog discusted you. You may not realise that not all have a dog but still like to hunt. The proper thing to do was report the incident to the CO instead of preaching behind your computor screen

I'm hunting with no dog and have no problems.
    I pick my shots, my spots and wear chest waders.
    I've hunted with dog owners before and I had to stand over the downed ducks before the dog spotted it, and with others that would not do a thing other than bolt at top speed in every and all directions at all times with the owner screaming his name constantly during the entire day. Left me impressed. Having a dog along does not make him trained by default. It's just another effective piece of gear if properly conditioned and used. I could say the same about anybody shooting without waders or decoys or calls, or whatever...
    How about we just try to educate skybusters instead since most of their kills are not even evident till a couple of days later. Plus they flare birds all around when they start to uncork anywere on the marsh which pisses me off a tad, or "pass shooters" that set up 40 yards away and shoot the birds you're calling in and decoying, or dog owners leaving their bagged droppings all along the dykes and have the nerve to judge hunters, or ....
    It's endless, bitching and gripping is easy and unproductive. If someone want's to be a hero, help us shmucks without dogs or access out and invite us along instead of getting high and mighty about how much more supperior their technique or prowess is.

pick your shots ,still ended up swimming for a few

I went out today and didn't pull the trigger. Oh, many a time. Didn't pull. Could have, but didnt want to take the chance. They will live to fly another day. Hopefully tomorrow. Sucks, but I wasn't sure that I could retrieve. So, I go out tomorrow with my little 7.5 foot camo rowboat. And if possible, I will do both.