Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: duck hunting with no dog

Hybrid View

duck hunting with no dog

What do you say to duck hunters who hunt with no dog?

Field hunting in a corn patch; great they can walk it down. But on a slough, beside a river or bush the number of ducks just left because they can't find then disgusts me.

Kasomor

2. Site Sponsor

Re: duck hunting with no dog

I duck hunt without a dog.

I have a canoe, hip waders, and I recover my ducks. I think this year I lost one that might have been recovered with a dog.

What about un-trained dogs? Or dogs out of control? I've seen both, I'd rather have no dog than a dog that's un-reliable.

Kirby
    Huuked on foniks wurked fur me

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser
    Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    I duck hunt without a dog.

I have a canoe, hip waders, and I recover my ducks. I think this year I lost one that might have been recovered with a dog.

What about un-trained dogs? Or dogs out of control? I've seen both, I'd rather have no dog than a dog that's un-reliable.

Kirby
    What's your phone number? I'll give it to them so you can tell them how to retrieve ducks with out a dog. Mind you, I don't think you can wade across the Vedder River at the moment and I don't know how a canoe would do on it either.

My friends fluffy got 8 ducks after they left.

You're right an untrained, out of control dog is a pain in the a**.

That's why I hunt with a TRAINED retreiver....dog gets all the ducks and I stay in the blind.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasomor View Post
    I don't think you can wade across the Vedder River at the moment and I don't know how a canoe would do on it either.

That's why I hunt with a TRAINED retreiver....dog gets all the ducks and I stay in the blind.
    Your right, so I pick my stands, I pick my spots. I don't hunt fast rivers, I don't hunt spots I can't pack my canoe into, I also pick my stands and my shots. I watched two guys throw steel at everything coming by, dog going ballistic and wouldn't follow commands, watched them knock ducks down and fail to recover, so should I question every guy who owns a dog?

Congrats on the trained retreiver, I am currently working with a lab puppy, however being a University student and renting tends to make owning a dog hard or impossible.

Kirby

Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others

What's your phone number? I'll give it to them so you can tell them how to retrieve ducks with out a dog. Mind you, I don't think you can wade across the Vedder River at the moment and I don't know how a canoe would do on it either.

My friends fluffy got 8 ducks after they left.

You're right an untrained, out of control dog is a pain in the a**.

Kirby is right. i have hunted with a dog and without a dog, it all depends on where you hunt,how you hunt and who you hunt with. dog or not.
    i have lost the same number of birds with or without a dog.

Being a duck hunter takes more then just having a dog, and ducks still get lost over dogs.

There are hunters out there that shoot and retrieve more ducks then hunters with dogs. Painting all shooters with the same brush on a hunting forum wouldn't be advisable.

Owning a dog doesn't excuse poor shooting, and owning a dog doesn't justify taking low average shots either. A well trained dog does increase the odds of retrieving crippled birds but we as hunters have to learn to only take high average shots even when hunting over dogs.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    There are hunters out there that shoot and retrieve more ducks then hunters with dogs. Painting all shooters with the same brush on a hunting forum wouldn't be advisable.

Owning a dog doesn't excuse poor shooting, and owning a dog doesn't justify taking low average shots either. A well trained dog does increase the odds of retrieving crippled birds but we as hunters have to learn to only take high average shots even when hunting over dogs.
    Your right Marc. I know there are tons of duck hunters who hunt without dogs and I'm not painting them all with the same brush.

It really chokes me though that these particular guys KNEW they could not retrieve the birds. They only carried out two, said they had killed more but couldn't get at them.

What do you say to that?

I won't shoot a deer down a gully if I know I can't get it out. I have never come across a deer that has been shot and left to die in the bush.

Every season I do with ducks. Ducks just seem to have less value to them.

Kasomor

Its like shooting any game animal don't take the shot if you can't retrieve it!! With a well trained dog retrieval is much easier, but hunting ducks and geese without your 4 legged buddy just means you have too work a little harder.
    "LIFE IS GOOD"

\
    It really chokes me though that these particular guys KNEW they could not retrieve the birds. They only carried out two, said they had killed more but couldn't get at them.

What do you say to that?
    Say nothing, observer, record, report. Guys like that give all hunters a bad name.

Kirby

I hunted ducks for over 15 years before I got my first duck dog. Back them we were shooting lead and I don't remember many cripples. Of course, I made sure that all ducks and geese were in range. I had a canoe and waders and learned to figure out where the birds would go. Usually not too far if you shot them right.