Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mother's milk

Mother's milk

I am wondering if there are certain meats,vegetables or natural foods that increase the production of breast milk in dogs? We use 'Royal Canin Badydog 30' for feeding and weaning puppies up to 5 months old. Although the 11 pups she has, are all showing signs of development, I would like to help as much as possible(typlical human)........sorry, Mom just started feeding as it is so much fun to watch. So if you know of someway I can help please reply.

We knew right away, Marley was destined to be a Mother.
    Last edited by Marley420; 12-29-2009 at 10:37 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mother's milk

No one answered you? Hmmmm....

Hit delete if you do not want to read this mini lecture before my answer.

This all ties in with non-breeding, co-ownership contracts, and EDUCATE YOURSELF BEFORE BREEDING....the breeder of your bitch SHOULD be helping you with this and any other concerns of questions you may have at any time about the bitch and /or pups...or at least pointing you to a group of experts for advice. Since this is your first litter and for subsequent litters as well... that is what your girl's breeder is for...bang, bang, bang...that's the sound of me hitting my head against the wall

End of lecture...

There is nothing more that you can do then feed your bitch all the HIGH QUALITY food she can eat at the moment and getting her to drink as much as she can. Do that and the actual process of the pups nursing frequently... while ensuring that they are all getting an equal crack at the milk bar...will increase her milk supply. She will still most likely end up a bone rack with that many pups but she will recover faster.

How much do the pups weigh, what are they gaining per day and when are you planning on introducing them to mush?

You may want to check out the quality of the food you are feeding your girl at the moment too
    http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...ct=274&cat=all
    It does not read quality to me. However, depending on your dogs digestive system you may not want to change it at this time.

She will be eating more of this food because it is not meeting her nutrition needs. So if you're feeding this because it is cheaper it is actually costing you more because she needs to eat more. Make sense?

Good luck

Kasomor
    Last edited by Kasomor; 12-19-2009 at 10:59 PM. Reason: spelling

Oh for goodness sake, get off your high horse.

Marley 420 is making an earnest effort at breeding and is showing a little passion about it.

It sounds as though as much as you provided an anwer to his question, you were frustrated at having to provide an answer.

If I knew the answer I would have responded but I'm not a breeder and thought best left to the experts.

I suspect his next breeding will be more thought out and planned as will his next and his next....

Sadly, dog sports are experiencing a slow death. If you refer to the membership #'s in your field club over the last few years you'll notice, like the rest of us, that the older mentors are dying and us young'uns aren't beating down the walls to get in. Our sport (or hobby if that's how you think of it) takes time and depends upon new people who are interested to be shown the ropes and helped along the way.

If you plant a seed it will grow.
    If you stomp on it , it will whither and die.

Marley 420 has asked for advice.
    The least we can do is give it to him without being condecending.

All breeders had to start somewhere.
    He asked a question.
    He's not pretending to be out there like he is sure of everything he's doing.

Really kasomor, I think you're a smart chick. Let's all start working at this together.

Deb

Quote Originally Posted by Lots'oLabs View Post

Marley 420 is making an earnest effort at breeding and is showing a little passion about it.

It sounds as though as much as you provided an anwer to his question, you were frustrated at having to provide an answer.

If I knew the answer I would have responded but I'm not a breeder and thought best left to the experts.

I suspect his next breeding will be more thought out and planned as will his next and his next....

Sadly, dog sports are experiencing a slow death. If you refer to the membership #'s in your field club over the last few years you'll notice, like the rest of us, that the older mentors are dying and us young'uns aren't beating down the walls to get in. Our sport (or hobby if that's how you think of it) takes time and depends upon new people who are interested to be shown the ropes and helped along the way.

He asked a question.

Really kasomor, I think you're a smart chick. Let's all start working at this together.

Deb
    agree totally, just looking at some of the posts has really steared me away from purchasing any dog from a so called registered breeder!
    you guys can keep your little cult.get a life!

just because you paid some cash to belong to some association does'nt make you an expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Lots'oLabs View Post

He asked a question.

Deb
    I'm sorry Deb. I did warn to hit delete if you didn't want to read the lecture.

I'm not even going to touch upon the effort or lack there-of that Marely has made on this breeding.

Actually I was supporting him in his effort to raise healthy pups and protect the health of his bitch by answering...seemed to me that other "breeders" were giving him the silent treatment. FYI, I have not bred a litter in over two years. This is a HUNTING list. Ya, we talk dogs but there are loads of other lists/ groups that ONLY talk breeding/whelping.

I asked..."How much do the pups weigh, what are they gaining per day and when are you planning on introducing them to mush?" Because I want to know if he knows what he is looking for...or are the pups and momma in trouble. I don't know this guy...some people do Internet advice instead of dialing a vet when needed.

Thank Dog he is only asking about how to get his bitch to produce more milk and not something more serious and life threatening to both mother and pups!! Does he know what mastitis looks like, would he know a dehydrated pup if he saw one, does he even know that those things and MORE are a concern???....oh...h*ll, I take this raising of pups way to seriously.

He did say that he would be getting health clearance before he bred again. Could that decision be because of a bit of peer pressure do you think? Which ever...I say, YIPEEEE!!!

I'll shut up now..nighty-night

Now now guys, that's not what i was getting at.
    I agree with registered dogs and have a firm belief in my responsibilities to my chosen clubs.
    I just think that we all need to treat each other a little more respectfully regardless of our approch to the world of dog ownership.

No wondering that our sport/hobby, is declining in numbers. No wonder people are losing interest in our way of life. You sure no how to treat a future peer in dog breeding. I'll have you know we did plenty of research. We asked our vet, our breeder plenty of questions. A breeder that is a friend and hunting partner. We studied the sites we found on the internet. We read books.

Why would anyone in their right mind continue to be belittled, by a group of people that jumps straight into a negative mindset. By coming to misconceptions in relationship to a question posed by a 'greenhorn'. How will we learn in life, if the people that, 'know better' than we do, aren't there to help, and encourage.

Way to make a guy feel welcome. Boohoo for me.

The mistake we made,(it seems), was buying and breeding, a dog that was unregistered. I know of people that buy dogs from the so-called respectable breeders, only to have to return them, because of health issues. It could happen to anyone. What intern happens to that dog or dogs? I am not assuming anything, but I am curious. I have a lot of respect for dog breeders. My wife and I have always wanted to be a top breeding Kennel. That's why I came you all. Wow was I wrong.

We love our dogs and will spend the rest of our lives with a dog from these bloodlines. They are fantastic hunting partners. Great family dogs and are such a joy to be around. We have been complimented with both dogs we have owned, for their demeanor, their obedience and their beauty.

Prosperity and health to all.
    I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas.

Well, Marley, sorry for all the crap you've had to read.
    It was not entirely thrown at you and was definitely a heated exchange from people who have passionate feelings about what they do. That's the good part of me. I'm passionate about my dogs.
    The bad part is ... I'm passionate about my dogs

Do your thing. I think it's all OK. I hope I didn't offend you in any way.

Regards,
    Deb

I respect a good breeder and have purchased most of my dogs from them however, dogs have been giving birth to puppies long before breeders were around and making out just fine. I have to agree with the poster that is tired of some of the arrogant remarks that some breeders feel a necessary component of any answer they are asked. Like you are stupid for asking and have no businees having a dog that can actually give birth to a litter. Marley would have probably been better off asking a qualified vet rather than posting in here but probably thought there was someone that might be able (and willing) to help in here and there well could be but why always with the lecture?

Good luck with the puppies Marley. Call a vet and get some good info and remember, your dog is doing her best to be a good Mom and although she might need a little help from you don't over do it. Even though it might be her first litter she knows more about what she must do than you do.

BTW Kasamor... how do you get a dog to drink as much water as it can?
    I think they stop drinking when they are full and go back when they are thirsty don't they?
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy!