Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: sitting duck

Re: sitting duck

Take your grouse to upland game forum. We're talking about ducks here and ya I'll nail a grouse on the ground if he's that stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    is it legal to shoot a sitting/floating duck? or does he have to be flying?

i didnt notice anything in the reg books about it
    As has been pointed out its legal but some frown upon as unsportsmanlike. Never bothered me what others think. I am a hunter not a sportsman. In the air or on the water if ducks and geese come into shooting range the gun goes off.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

I think what he was saying is it's no different shooting a duck on land or on water then it is to shoot a grouse or turkey standing still.

I find it ironic that it's frowned upon / unethical to shoot at a deer or bear on the run. It's also frowned upon / unethical to shoot a bird sitting in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Ddog View Post
    what? that makes no sense, when turkey hunting you take the turkey when he comes to your calls, you do not wait and then scare him off to try and shoot it out of the air. as for grouse, i do not no one single person that waits until they fly away to try and shoot them even if they are carrying a shotgun, so therefore it is not the same in either circumstance.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I think what he was saying is it's no different shooting a duck on land or on water then it is to shoot a grouse or turkey standing still.

I find it ironic that it's frowned upon / unethical to shoot at a deer or bear on the run. It's also frowned upon / unethical to shoot a bird sitting in the water.
    Shooting at running game could be justified as unethical because proper shot placement can become very difficult resulting in a wounded animal. We know that happens rather frequently on deer drives.

The same is with flying ducks. I have seen more flying ducks been crippled than sitting ducks. If fact I have never personally seen a hunter cripple a sitting duck.

I often wondered why some waterfowl hunters find shooting a sitting duck is unethical. Is it because it is to easy? Defenseless bird? Or what?
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

I don't do it for a couple reasons.

1. I don't want holes in my decoys.
    2. Seems unsporting to me. If they've made it through my shooting zone, they've earned their pass.
    3. Kind nice to watch ducks swimming around in the deeks. Get to watch how they act/ react to the decoys.
    4. Leaving them in the spread really helps bring in more ducks.
    5. Don't like shooting low incase the dog happens to run in front of the barrel.

But if others do it, I have no problems...Just not in my spread.

Sitting or flying it's a dead duck. Muahhhh haaaa haaa haaa

Quote Originally Posted by Ddog View Post
    what? that makes no sense, when turkey hunting you take the turkey when he comes to your calls, you do not wait and then scare him off to try and shoot it out of the air. as for grouse, i do not no one single person that waits until they fly away to try and shoot them even if they are carrying a shotgun, so therefore it is not the same in either circumstance.
    This year I started to only shoot grouse on the wing. I shot them on the ground before.

Who cares how it was shot... get out there and enjoy the hunt! If you use a .22, 300wm, .410 or 10ga, If you had fun and an enjoyable time, DO IT AGAIN because that is what it is about! I will support how every single person hunts upland game, or waterfowl (providing it is legal by defenition).

Dutchie

My brother would herniate himself laughing at me if i took a duck on the water....he seems to forget that this little custom was invented to keep jokers like him from shooting up the decoys!

No harm in taking a duck on the water but we usually scare em up...think about it you're really there for the fine shooting ducks provide...if it just swims in and you stroke it while its floating in front of the blind youre sort of taking the fun part out of it?

also for the record i grease my grouse on the ground with the .22.... usually on the 2nd or third shot!!!!!!

yup, ive taken a few grouse with the 300WM, headshots only!

good to know that sitting ducks are fine to shoot.
    half the people in this world are below average intelligence

Quote Originally Posted by PGK View Post
    Open invitation to you then. Bring your shotgun, come for a walk with me, Sept 1st You can see just how full of bs I am firsthand.

Hermit, you gotta pin em to a tree Just not too high!
    Now that's TOO FUNNY!

Of couse, I've seen a guy try to shoot a grouse with his 30.06 too. Missed 'em.
    Backroad Access Closures - Send an Email NOW!
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=10125