Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: sitting duck

Re: sitting duck

Quote Originally Posted by heyblast View Post
    When I took my hunter saftey in Ontario in 1972 we were taught that shooting waterfowl while sitting was in contravention of the migratory bird act. My friend who took his training in the mid 90's was also taught the same thing. This fall I read over the act which has been revised since my training and couldn't find any thing saying it was illegal, so I'm not certain. That said I will not shoot ducks when they are not flying, in my opinion it is not sporting or ethical.
    In the migratory act it used to state, and it still does in some state regs that you cannot shoot a bird "at rest" So its sortof up to the COs discretion. Is a duck swimming around considered "at rest" yes and no, so its a very grey law.

Like most migratory bird act laws they all stem from the days of market gunners. And the whole not shooting ducks "at rest" was to stop guys from sculling into a whole flock of ducks and shooting them with punt guns all at once.

Shooting em on water, its not unsportsmanlike, its perfered!!

bang flop splash splash splash

Quote Originally Posted by Ddog View Post
    what? that makes no sense, when turkey hunting you take the turkey when he comes to your calls, you do not wait and then scare him off to try and shoot it out of the air. as for grouse, i do not no one single person that waits until they fly away to try and shoot them even if they are carrying a shotgun, so therefore it is not the same in either circumstance.

Because neither grouse nor turkey are MIGRATORY birds.
    Backroad Access Closures - Send an Email NOW!
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=10125

what? that makes no sense, when turkey hunting you take the turkey when he comes to your calls, you do not wait and then scare him off to try and shoot it out of the air. as for grouse, i do not no one single person that waits until they fly away to try and shoot them even if they are carrying a shotgun, so therefore it is not the same in either circumstance.
    Then you must not know very many people. I try to shoot all my grouse in the air, and know plenty of other people who do. I've heard hardcore duck hunters slam a guy for shooting a sitting duck, but the very next day the same hardcore duck hunter sluices a grouse on the road and I'm like WTH man!? Talk about friggin hypocritical.

It"s not hypocritical. Grouse are camp food ducks are "classy".

Ducks are flying turds, grouse are classy. Besides, anyone can hit a duck with 1oz of 12ga steel. Try hitting a grouse with half an ounce of 410 lead.

Quote Originally Posted by PGK View Post
    Then you must not know very many people. I try to shoot all my grouse in the air, and know plenty of other people who do. I've heard hardcore duck hunters slam a guy for shooting a sitting duck, but the very next day the same hardcore duck hunter sluices a grouse on the road and I'm like WTH man!? Talk about friggin hypocritical.
    your as full as shit as they come,,,,,never ever seen one person do it, i have taken a couple in the air when i used to carry a shotgun, but 99% of people that hunt them take them on the ground when they are walking or sitting. Dont try and make yourself sound like a hero for scaring a grouse and trying to shoot it in the air.

your as full as shit as they come,,,,,never ever seen one person do it, i have taken a couple in the air when i used to carry a shotgun, but 99% of people that hunt them take them on the ground when they are walking or sitting. Dont try and make yourself sound like a hero for scaring a grouse and trying to shoot it in the air.
    Ya he's a real hero... I've done it. My friends do it. I guess Im trying to make my friends and I look like heros too.

What a thread! Guys nit picking about how to kill a grouse! LOL So for the record then, and just to stir the pot... Its way more fun shooting grouse with a bow! Some times they fly away with your $15 custom tuned arrow too!! LOL
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Open invitation to you then. Bring your shotgun, come for a walk with me, Sept 1st You can see just how full of bs I am firsthand.

Hermit, you gotta pin em to a tree Just not too high!