Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handgun Hunting - Alaska

The 'Hummer' Guest

Question Handgun Hunting - Alaska

Seeing as we cannot do it in Canada, I am considering the possibility of a Moose hunting trip to Alaska using a handgun. Has anyone been this route and if so, want to share the details?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Handgun Hunting - Alaska

r u insane its har enough to take those big boys with a 338 what kind of handgun?
    if im not hunting im fishing if im not fishing im hunting if im not hunting or fishing........im dead

Many moose have fallen to a well placed handgun bullet, as well as a well placed arrow or muzzle loader.

In Alaska, I think you need a guide for moose if you are a non res.

I dont' think you need a guide for black bear or deer.

Not 100% sure abotu htat but the Alaska Hunting regs are online, I *do* know that..
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

The 'Hummer' Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse
    Many moose have fallen to a well placed handgun bullet, as well as a well placed arrow or muzzle loader.

In Alaska, I think you need a guide for moose if you are a non res.

I dont' think you need a guide for black bear or deer.

Not 100% sure abotu htat but the Alaska Hunting regs are online, I *do* know that..
    Thanks Gatehouse. I'm in contact with a couple of outfits in Alaska, trying to make a decission of where to go. Looking for details of getting the handgun there etc.

The 'Hummer' Guest

Quote Originally Posted by moose hunter
    r u insane its har enough to take those big boys with a 338 what kind of handgun?
    Hey Moose Hunter, thanks for the response. I used to live not too far from you, Wells. Still have a cabin @ Bowron Lake and usually hunt Moose there, area 5-15 &/or 7-06, when I get a draw.

For a rifle, I use a 308 Norma but if the 'Alaska' things comes about, I want to use a 500 S&W (the 'Hummer') with my handloads.

Oh, I see.

To transport it to Alaska, you need a ATT that takes you to a border crossing, which yours probbaly does!

You will need to get a Alaska HL prior to departure and you need a BATF Form 6 , if I am not mistaken.

It's alot tougher to enter the USA with guns these days, after thier new laws, but I thik the outfirter shoudl have that info, no?

In any case, sounds super exciting, make sure you take lots of pics!
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

ahh the 500 big boom haha good luck
    if im not hunting im fishing if im not fishing im hunting if im not hunting or fishing........im dead

youngfellla Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The 'Hummer'
    For a rifle, I use a 308 Norma but if the 'Alaska' things comes about, I want to use a 500 S&W (the 'Hummer') with my handloads.
    AH, the 500 S&W, brings tears of joy to my eyes!

I've also been looking into a moose hunt in Alaska. I've got two Super Redhawk Rugers, a 454 Casull and a 480 Ruger, both Target Grey with 7 1/2'' barrels.

I'll try to dig up the website of an outfitter in Alaska with a story & pics of a 64'' Moose brought down with a Freedom Arms 454 Casull.

BTW, what's it like shooting the 500?

The 'Hummer' Guest

Thumbs up Re: Handgun Hunting - Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse
    Oh, I see.

To transport it to Alaska, you need a ATT that takes you to a border crossing, which yours probbaly does!

You will need to get a Alaska HL prior to departure and you need a BATF Form 6 , if I am not mistaken.

It's alot tougher to enter the USA with guns these days, after thier new laws, but I thik the outfirter shoudl have that info, no?

In any case, sounds super exciting, make sure you take lots of pics!
    Thanks Gatehouse, I appreciate the info, even though I'm just in the preliminary stages of 'the plan'. Thanks again.

The 'Hummer' Guest

Thumbs up Re: Handgun Hunting - Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by youngfellla
    AH, the 500 S&W, brings tears of joy to my eyes!

I've also been looking into a moose hunt in Alaska. I've got two Super Redhawk Rugers, a 454 Casull and a 480 Ruger, both Target Grey with 7 1/2'' barrels.

I'll try to dig up the website of an outfitter in Alaska with a story & pics of a 64'' Moose brought down with a Freedom Arms 454 Casull.

BTW, what's it like shooting the 500?
    Hi youngfella;
    To say the least, its a handful with any of the heavier loads. It has the ability to inflict pain at both ends!! With full house loads using a 440 gr. cast gas checked bullet, the hump of the frame hurts, even with the factory supplied Hogue rubber grips. I have 'adapted' a set of Herrett Jordan Trooper stocks for an N frame Smith and that seems to have made the recoil 'bearable'. Just got some 500 gr. Hornady bullets. they're my next test.
    Good luck on getting to Alaska. Handgun hunting?? If you're interested, I'll send the guide info I'm considering if you want to send yours. When were you planning on going?