Thread: Wierd Morning

Wierd Morning

So I am kicking myself for forgetting the camera in the truck this morning. I was running late.(in my mind) The morning started out like any other I get to my spot in the dark, empty my kit bag and toss out a spread(I carry about 3 dozen) I noticed a bit of ice on the edge of the pond as a few dekes crunched when they landed. I adjust accordingly, and in typicall fashion a small flock of birds zooms into the spread for a low pass and turn to commit before realizing I'm standing on the edge of the pond, then they bugger off. (before legal light) So I take up my spot in the tall grass, I finish my coffee legal light hits and.............Nothing, I watch the skies for an hour counted 28 high flyers

So my ADD kicks in and I get up and go for a walk, I round the back the corner of the back field to find 2000-2500 ducks on the Roost in the middle of the field. The thing that struck me as wierd though is most of them were still sleeping/resting and a good 3/4 of them were on dry field there was a sheet near them but very few were in it. O and it was like 0915ish, thought it was odd figured I tell ya about it. Going back tomorrow def bringing the camera. I guess lack of predators makes them feel safe enough to be in the field in the dark snoozing???

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Wierd Morning

So I bumped into a few older fella's that I have shot with earlier this year. we talked about, the fields, the mess, the water, where the geese have been lately. Then they asked if I had been out before this afternoon. I inform them this morning was slow and they replied, well thats cuase it was low tide. I said I know but I figured I go for a stab anyway, then I proceed to tell them about the sight I saw this morning.

They were both pretty shocked, said maybe the weather had something to do with it?

Or is it that the ducks care less about the tides, then say the Geese

Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

I had a few times this year when me and my partner headed out to our blind to set up, only to kick the birds up! i found it very odd too that ducks and the one time about 50 geese were in the field overnight!

I run in that about 1 out of 5 times, a 20-30 flock of Geese, or 15-20 of ducks. But never anything in the kind of range as yesterday. They were huddle inside of a soccerfield's worth of area.

I've always suspected that ducks might move around at night but not stay in a field overnight. Geese on the other I know will stay in a field overnight and will feed at night and roost during the day. When I lived in Fergus Ont. the geese[ sometimes up to1000 ] would sit all day in the river and just at dark to 11:00 at night would head out to feed and return before daylight. It was damn near impossible to hunt them, I didn't even know were they were going because it was at night. Were these ducks still doing the same thing today.

Have seen it before usually after a cold snap or heavy snow then melt probably so bloody hungry they just don't wanna leave, Can't really blame them

Quote Originally Posted by heyblast View Post
    I've always suspected that ducks might move around at night but not stay in a field overnight. Geese on the other I know will stay in a field overnight and will feed at night and roost during the day. When I lived in Fergus Ont. the geese[ sometimes up to1000 ] would sit all day in the river and just at dark to 11:00 at night would head out to feed and return before daylight. It was damn near impossible to hunt them, I didn't even know were they were going because it was at night. Were these ducks still doing the same thing today.

Ya they did it again the next day, I tried to take video but it's all to dark to make out. So I waited was, going to get some pics, then about 20 flyers came in and a knocked a few of them. Which of course spooked the rest out, by the time I switched back to my camera there wasn't any good photos to be had.