Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CORE - First things first

Re: CORE - First things first

Quote Originally Posted by Phoneguy View Post
    Saperton Fish and Game will be running a course in Febuary. It is 3 weeks, M-T-W from 7 - around 10pm and is located at our range in Queens Park, New West. There are 3 or 4 instructors who teach together, me being the most junior, and a couple of guys having taught since the 70's. Usually we time the course so that a PAL and RPAL course have finished shortly before.

James
    Wow that sounds like a great oportunity. I live about ten minutes away from Queen's Park too!. Unfortunetly, I wouldn't be able to get evenings off work, especially not for three weeks in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by BOOTS! View Post
    Unfortunetly, I wouldn't be able to get evenings off work, especially not for three weeks in a row.
    Contact Phoneguy or the club and ask if you can take the course at a time more convenient for you with a instructor that has time, like during daytime hours. I do that all the time with individuals that can't get away in the evenings due to night shift or whatever.

For individuals the course is usually shorter. I only go through the material needed to pass the test without all the fancy stuff added like presentations, demostrations and videos. I call it the "rush me through course".
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

As an instructor I usually advise students to take the PAL first, as it negates the need to take the hands on practical segment of the CORE test. I agree with the others on the site that the longer the course the better off you are. I personally go for about 20-21 hours on mine.
    It's only when you see a mosquito land on your testicles that you realize there are other ways to deal with problems than violence.

I have an RPAL and some rifles, so I should be able to 'skip' that part of the course no?

Pm's have been sent!

Just bring your RPAL with you to the exam and show it to the instructor. He just needs to copy the information down on the registration form and when you pass the written exam you can send the completed form in.
    It's only when you see a mosquito land on your testicles that you realize there are other ways to deal with problems than violence.

Hey guys just a few quick questions. I got my PAL and CORE when I was 19. I activiley shoot but haven't't hunted yet.
    When I first got my core I went to the gov place and got my card, that was 5 years ago. If I want to go hunting for the 2010 season do I need to go back and renew it or anything?

Also when reading the hunting synopsis for the regions, what's the difference between the regions that are highlighted green and the ones that are black? Looks like I've forgotten a bit since I passed my course.

Any help is appreciated, thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by cmp88 View Post
    Hey guys just a few quick questions. I got my PAL and CORE when I was 19. I activiley shoot but haven't't hunted yet.
    When I first got my core I went to the gov place and got my card, that was 5 years ago. If I want to go hunting for the 2010 season do I need to go back and renew it or anything?
    Just check to see if your PAL has expired. Hopefully you still have time to renew it.

BOOTS,
    If you don't have time to go for the CORD course,you can get a book and study of your own time.Whenever you feel that you're ready for it then take a challenge test.