Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CORE - First things first

CORE - First things first

Well after tagging along last year to procrastinating this year, it's time to poop or get off the pot.

I need to take my CORE course so I can be ready to go NEXT season.

How long is the course? I've heard some say they did it in one day, others said three nights a week.

Can anyone recomend a good CORE course in the Vancouver/Burnaby/New West area? What sore of costs am I looking at?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: CORE - First things first

Quote Originally Posted by BOOTS! View Post
    How long is the course? I've heard some say they did it in one day, others said three nights a week.

Can anyone recomend a good CORE course in the Vancouver/Burnaby/New West area? What sore of costs am I looking at?
    The course length is dependant on the instructor(s). Some are a full day in length, some 2 or 3 days or others can be spread over a month with class being a couple evenings per week for 3 or 4 hrs. As an instructor myself I would advise not to take the easy way out, rather take a course that is longer in length and you will learn more course material as well as general hunting tips that way.

The list for instructors you will find here and maybe some of the LML members can give their opinions on the courses they took:
    http://www.bcwf.bc.ca/programs/core/
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

$ 1,000,000 and 5 yrs of school.

What tomahawk said. My courses are spread over five evenings, five hours each. I add several guest speakers plus the local CO who will explain more about their specific field of interest. In addition I use a lot video and power point presentations. The fifth day we spend at the shooting range where students can shoot rifles, blackpoweder guns form the trad to the inline and different bows from trad to crossbow. This is followed by a BBQ.

As you can see from that each instructor has a slightly different approach to administering the course, mine is more based on entertaining while educating at the same time.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Thanks from the two examiners.

I'd really like to take the longer courses because my hunting knowledge level is about 2/100 right now. However, I'm a shift worker so I may not be able to go for one night a week for a month as I'll be working.

I'll call some of the examiners on the list and see what they have to offer and if they are flexible with dates or if there is a two day all day kind of course they offer one weekend that I am off. =)

Thanks from the two examiners.

I'd really like to take the longer courses because my hunting knowledge level is about 2/100 right now. However, I'm a shift worker so I may not be able to go for one night a week for a month as I'll be working.
    The course will not make you a hunter or teach you how to become one. It's just a prerequisite to become a hunter. Mostly the course is about hunting safety and the game law with a little bit of conservation thrown into it and game identification.

The real education starts after the CORE course, and for that you better off trying to hook up with a veteran hunter for a season or two. Or you could book one my hunting courses.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

I fully expect some comeuppance the next season. That's why I want to take a year to 'get ready.'

So the CORE course is mostly about safety and game laws? What about, safe handling of the meat you intend to eat? Or how to clean a deer? I certainly don't expect to learn how to track deer or what things to look for. I will fully expect to come back empty handed a lot next year, but if I get lucky I want to know what to do after the shot. Are these things covered in the course?

Do you put on hunting courses in the lower mainland?

Thanks again for all the help!

What about, safe handling of the meat you intend to eat? Or how to clean a deer?
    No it is only very briefly touched on. Remember the CORE course did not come about to cover a real need but rather is a political correct reaction to the anti hunting and anti gun movement so the government could say "we're educating hunters."

In America some states have made field dressing and game meat care part of the course. For that they use a freshly killed goat or a deer road kill. Here in BC I have spent a lot of time trying to get that part into the CORE course too but I keep running against a brick wall of nanny state bureaucrats, regulations and a lot of unfounded "but" and "if" .
    1. We are not permitted to pick up road kill deer.
    2. The instructor would have to be specially licensed to handle meat and butcher animals. Although butchers and meat cutters do not need (not yet) a special license to do their job. Only instructors do that are not working in the meat industry. I am a certified Swiss Master Butcher but that doesn't qualify me here in BC. Although as such I know more than a certified BC meat inspector and I proven that fact many times over. I am also a German certified animal behaviourist and have educated students all over world for the last 30 plus years, but that too has no value here in BC.
    3. The premises where the course would be held would have to be in compliance with the Canadian Food Safety standards and regulations. Nobody can afford that financially just for a course. Come to think of it many professionals (small butcher shops) can't afford it either and closed down.
    The biggest detriment to do anything here in BC is our government and their license everything agenda. Each year it gets more ridiculous. Oh yes, It all costs a lot of money too without the government doing anything in return other than give you a piece of paper.

Sorry for the rant but it needed to be said.

I give single and groups courses. Single courses are held here in Merritt. Group courses of 5 people and up are held anywhere in North America. Maybe that soon needs to be licensed too if things keep going the way they do.
    Last edited by huntwriter; 12-14-2009 at 04:49 PM.

Saperton Fish and Game will be running a course in Febuary. It is 3 weeks, M-T-W from 7 - around 10pm and is located at our range in Queens Park, New West. There are 3 or 4 instructors who teach together, me being the most junior, and a couple of guys having taught since the 70's. Usually we time the course so that a PAL and RPAL course have finished shortly before.

James

you got your pal too?
    Gold Bond Application Artist