Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Predator Contest 2009/2010

Predator Contest 2009/2010

We didn't have a Fall Big Game contest this year, because I was a little preoccupied with other things. However, hopefully I can make it up to you guys by having a predator contest. We all like to talk about how wolf numbers are up, hopefully this will encourage more guys to get out there and give wolf hunting/trapping a go.

Hopefully some of our generous sponsors will come on board with a few prizes, and any individuals that wishes to donate a prize, let me know!

Prize winners will be randomly drawn.

HBC Spring Predator Contest

ONLY OPEN TO BC BEAR, Cougar, Bobcat, Lynx, Wolf, (coyotes-called in only)

All animals must be taken in accordance with BC hunting/trapping regulations.

Limit of 2 black bear, 1 grizzly, 3 wolves, 1 lynx, 3 bobcat, 2 cougar per person

Contest opens Dec1/09, contest closes June 30/2010. All entries must be in by July 2/2010.

All entries MUST be accompanied by a photo, posted on this Contest thread.

All entrants *MUST* be members of HBC no later than Jan 1/2010
    PLEASE GET YOUR WIFE/HUSBAND/SON/DAUGHTER SIGNED UP NOW. You CANNOT enter their animals for them!

All entrants *MUST* be accompanied by a short story of the hunt. (No, we don't need GPS co-ordinates, just let us know what sort of terrain you were hunting, and how you hunted it, etc- This adds to the fun, and makes the contest more interesting)

As always, this is a CONTEST thread, not a DISCUSSION thread.

Please post your entries here.

Please ask any questions regarding the contest here.

Please do NOT engage in discussion on this thread. Start another for that.

Congratulations to the hunters may be given, but please keep them short. These posts will be pruned from time to time, in the interest of keeping the thread on track and efficient.

Thanks for your cooperation.

I will sort out the categories once I get some prizes sorted out. Anyone that wishes to donate a prize, please PM me
    !
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Predator Contest 2009/2010

Thanks Gatehouse. Since I didn't shoot any big game to enter anyway, this make's up for the lack of a big game contest as far as I'm concerned.

Here's my (first?) entry:

Got this last weekend. Was my big Four-Oh, and a good friend of mine (who's been a houndsman for 25 odd years) took me out for a cat. We got lucky and found a good track right off the bat, got a couple more friends with hounds to join us and had a short run. Not a whole lot more to tell. But what a great way to spend a birthday! And that's why I am calling myself a "lucky mo-fugga".

It weighed 147lbs and should score in the mid to high 14's. Not a monster, but a good solid tom and I'm "over the moon" with it!

Cheers
    4Ster
    Last edited by Kody94; 12-12-2009 at 02:49 PM.
    "If you want to hunt beasts you don't see every day,
    You have to go places quite out-of-the-way.
    You have to go places no others can get to,
    You have to get cold and you have to get wet, too."
    - Dr. Seuss

Mr Potato head wants to enter the contest?
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Mr Potato head wants to enter the contest?
    Yep, assuming its OK wit da mod!
    "If you want to hunt beasts you don't see every day,
    You have to go places quite out-of-the-way.
    You have to go places no others can get to,
    You have to get cold and you have to get wet, too."
    - Dr. Seuss

First week of Dec, went out into a area where I got a deer a week before, while following a deer trail came over a rise and saw this guy watching a slash cut. Sat down and had a tea, watched him to make sure he was alone, 20 min's later I was dragging him out. Made for good eating 57" nose to tail and 3 1/2 in pads

This was the second time using the home brew game cart the one with the spare tire, oh ya had to use the spare firet time out.

will be making some mods to this over the winter but it worked great.
    When the sh*t hit's the fan ... You need a Redneck Man ......

Not the most exciting of stories,but a couple 2 or 3 weeks back I ventured out in pursuit of another mulie buck.I had watched the weather and chose a nice day for hunting and at the very least would enjoy some fresh air and exercise.After no action in the a.m.,I had just parked and was about to get geared up for a little hike when something caught my attention.At first I was not sure what it was,but thru my glasses,I could see it was a cat.
    Now let me say that I'm the type of hunter who carries tags for many,if not all,the species that are open in an area.I have had others tell me that it is a waste of money,but at just over $130 to fill my gas tank and along with all the other expenses that go with hunting,the cost of tags are cheap.After some deliberation and a patient cat,I decided to take the opportunity and I will now patiently await it's return from the taxidermist.

excellent photo blainer, congrats on the cat.
    I'm just here to provide moral support......Hey nice (insert animal here)congrats.

In memory of you dad..."you always leave a campsite cleaner then when you found it"

There's only one thing in life that constitutes insanity..... continuing to do the same thing you have been doing but expecting different results.

Thumbs up Re: Predator Contest 2009/2010

Bumpity Bump Bump !

From Sept of this year, but hey...its my first entry/predator...ever

I left Friday morning to meet my good friend Mike (Moosinaround) and his son Tanner (minimoosin).

I drove the ___ hours to meet them where they were set up to _____ for _____. I had never been to ______, so I was surprised at how _____ the _____ was.

After settling down for some ______ , Mike and I decided to go for an evening ______. We didnt see any _____ so we came back to camp.

The next morning, we were up bright and early and out looking for _____ again. We came across a HUGE _____ where it was obvious that there had been a couple of _____ _______. It was crazy!

Thinking that this was the place where we were going to see our _____, we set up shop and began _______.

Immediately there was _______, which got the hair on the back of our necks standing straight up....what a rush!!!! A coupe of hours go by, but we couldnt get the _____ to come out of the ______.

Heading back to camp again, we make some _______ and talk about our next plan of attack. Deciding to go see some _______, we hop onto the _______ and take a ______ towards _______.

We passed a camp that had an impressive _______ hanging from the ______, so it let us know that the ______ were around.

We ______ for about an _______ and needed to take a ______, so we ______ the ______ at the top of a _______.

Now, Moosinaround and I have been looking for my first ______ for about a year and a half....and Minimoosin knows this...so as we are enjoying the view, he says "Hey Steve, if a ______ was to walk out right now, would you _______ it?"

Not 5 seconds later, Mike says "Hey Dawg, theres your ______!!!". I looked over and down the _____ and saw a nice ______ walking towards the ______ patch.

I hummed and hawwed for a minute and decided that this was an opportunity that I was not going to pass up. So after settling the crosshairs from my ______ scope onto its ______, I squeezed a shot off.

One shot from my ______ chambered in ________ ____ took out its _____ and _______, dropping it on the spot. I had no idea that a ______ grain _____ would leave such an exit hole!

After ______ and _______ the ______, we rolled it onto the front ______of the ______ and headed back to camp.

It measured out at _______ and ________.

A long time coming ...thanks Mike and Minimoosin!

(This post has been edited by the HBC saints in order to protect the hunting areas, sensitive readers and just because thats what the Saints do )

...No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the enemy until it is ripe for execution...

If you want the prime bush, follow the Dawg...

Quote Originally Posted by NoahDawg View Post
    From Sept of this year,
    Congrats on the Bear !
    But me thinks the Contest began Dec 1.........