Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help a newbie anyone?

Help a newbie anyone?

Hi all, I plan on going on my first Turkey hunt this spring here's the problem; I really don't know the south okanagan/ kootney area at all. If anyone could suggest a region to try my luck in I sure would appreciate it.
    I live in Abbotsford but I dont mind drivin' so anywhere in southern bc is fine by me. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

So much to learn.....

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Help a newbie anyone?

Here, around Cranbrook we have had such an increase in turkeys that they have opened an open season for them from April15 to May 15, but it has to be a bearded turkey (Male)...There is a ton of country around here for them and lots of birds......

However, I am by no means an experienced turkey hunter...I went out last year with a buddy of mine and his plan, which has worked numerous times in the past was just to drive (road hunt) the good areas and hope for the best....No I did not get one but saw dozens of hens and chicks....

I know there are many people around here that get right into it (like they do on Realtree Hunting etc) with the full camo/decoys/calls, calls and more calls...But I have never been that turkey crazy....Not saying turkey hunters are crazy !!!!

You are allowed to hunt them with shotguns or rimfire cartridges (no centrefire cartidges with a single projectile - I can't find it in the regs but I know it is in there somewhere).....

Hope this helps.....Unsure of the Okanogan....

I have heard the area around Ft. Steele is pretty good, heard anything?

Stay out of my area !!!!

I would LOVE to hunt turkeys. I always wanted a slate just to make those chirping noises...
    from what I have read about hunting them you either find a place where they have roosted in the night and call them in at first light. Or if you flush a bunch you can call them back, as they are a vocal social group and like to be together. Apparently there are some on the island but there is no open season on them.

FT.steele is a good area i shot one there 3 years ago and my brother got one there 2 years ago just road hunting.

Ft Steele is a good area for sure,but there is a ton of land to hunt surrounding it as well.....Shotugns and rimfire rifles are correct.....I have heard quite possibly that they will allow to "toms" this year,of course that is only rumoured....if I hear anything though,I'll post it for sure

I Have not been out for the UGLY buggers yet myself but I do know
    that there is a nice flock just outside of Greenwood.
    The wifes grandma lives there and we stop in when we are chasing whitetails
    around Rock Creek.
    We have seen the flock of hens and chicks (30 birds all told) several times
    in the same areas and fields.(find the hens to hunt the toms..)

Pretty neat to see...they are huge.

We are living in Chilliwack now but just moved from Abby.
    PM me and I will give you better directions and see if we know the same people.

Anything named Steele can't be bad
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady
    Stay out of my area !!!!
    Ft Steele it is. Was planning a trip with a half dozen guys this spring. Now we know where to go. Thanks.