Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: # of pins

Re: # of pins

brock 77 whitetails will jump the string and duck your arrow at 15 yds never mind 50.i have 3 pins 20,30. 40 just in case all the planets align ,clear, broadside, looking elsewhere

My target bow .. has one pin ...with a CopperJohn ANTS sight system ...good to 120 yrds

My Hunting Bow Has One pin ... with a Trophy Ridge Mantis Sight System ... presently set up from 10-50 yards
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

i have 3 pins 0-30 yards for the first pin, 95% of my shots. then a 40 and 50 yard pin, the 50 i have never used on a animal in 17years or so of bowhunting. and the 40 i have used a couple of times just for a reference.
    with only one pin out to 30 yards it makes it easy for the shot, no room for error by choosing the wrong pin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ddog View Post
    i have 3 pins 0-30 yards for the first pin, 95% of my shots. then a 40 and 50 yard pin, the 50 i have never used on a animal in 17years or so of bowhunting. and the 40 i have used a couple of times just for a reference.
    with only one pin out to 30 yards it makes it easy for the shot, no room for error by choosing the wrong pin.
    Can i ask something here ...

1 pin out to 30 .... where is it centered??? because your bow ... in fact no bow in the world shoots flat to 30 yards ...do have it zeroed at 20 and hold high for 30 yrds?
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

i have it zeroed at 30 and aim low at 20 by about 6 inches or so which is still in the kill zone, at 20 yards no animal will ever walk away from me if i choose to take it unless i hit a stick or some other object i do not see. after as many years of bowhunting as i have done it makes no sense to me to have a pin less than 30 yards.
    it works for me and always will, so therefore i wont change it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ddog View Post
    i have it zeroed at 30 and aim low at 20 by about 6 inches or so which is still in the kill zone, at 20 yards no animal will ever walk away from me if i choose to take it unless i hit a stick or some other object i do not see. after as many years of bowhunting as i have done it makes no sense to me to have a pin less than 30 yards.
    it works for me and always will, so therefore i wont change it.
    dont get me wrong ...whatever works ....

I was curious to alot of peoples thinking to use 1 pin ... I hear this all the time .... In fact now the new PSE commercial advertises this ...and I hate it ...because it makes nebies think that the bow shoots flat out that far ... when in fact its not the case
    A true Archery Nut

my first pin is zero @ 25 yrds then 30, 40, 50 ,60. is it better to have pins 5 or 10 yards apart. Im pretty consistant at the range 0- 60 yards at a 6 inch pie plate (styrofoam). but resently missed 2 does (one over and one under) that were around 40 yrds. one shot was flat the other was a slight downward angle. (no rangefinder yet waiting for santa haha lol). i guess it depends on the arc of my arrow?

My target bow has one pin (Deitlef Advantage with Extreme scope and up pin)
    and my hunting set up has 5 pins 20 -60yds (spott hogg)
    Smith & Wesson Beats Four Aces!

i have a spott-hogg 7 deadly pins customized with .019 pins for 20,30,40,50 yrds and .010 pins for 60,70 80 yrds. i found at longer ranges the .019 pin blurred out to much area of the kill zone.
    although i have yet to use my 70 and 80 yrd pins on an animal i do practice enough to be consistantly hitting a 6 inch group at those yardages.i have only once used my 60 when i took a 4pt muley at 57 yrds through the alders.
    bruce
    i didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a friggin vegatarian

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brock77 View Post
    my first pin is zero @ 25 yrds then 30, 40, 50 ,60. is it better to have pins 5 or 10 yards apart. Im pretty consistant at the range 0- 60 yards at a 6 inch pie plate (styrofoam). but resently missed 2 does (one over and one under) that were around 40 yrds. one shot was flat the other was a slight downward angle. (no rangefinder yet waiting for santa haha lol). i guess it depends on the arc of my arrow?
    It mostly depends on the speed of your bow. The faster the bow the closer the pin gap and consequently the longer the yardage between pins so that the pins aren't way too close together.