Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Williston Lake Grizz

Re: Williston Lake Grizz

7-38 or 7-40.

PGKris Guest

You picked some rough country. That's almost literally all mountains. Best bet for 7-38 would be to hunt the lakeshore or get as far as you can from it. 7-40....Don't know much about that area but I've heard some scary stories about the Finlay River

try and stay away from ingeneka in 7-40 i drew for grizz in there a couple years ago, apparantly the native band in that area is not very fond of hunters in their areas i'vce heard lots of horror stories about them ransacking your camp stealing food, gas, beer, trucks whatever. even heard of some guns being stolen while hunters are out. this is from people who work up there. not a friendly bunch. this particular band seems to be known for this alot more so than others.

I've heard the stories about the guys from Fort Ware, scary stuff. Did you have any trouble mh?

no i'm ashamed to say it but we heard it from some truckers up there and we really didnt want to risk it cause your pretty far out there to get your truck stolen or gas stolen. itd be way too long a hike out so we changed areas and hunted moose south of there. i'll have to get a grizz draw elsewhere in the future

TIP of the week...you want a grizz try 7-21 Rainy Creek to Puggins Mountain....easy access....lots of big bears....

We have been hunting 7-38 as a group for the past 15 years. We have never had an issue with the native fellas. They have alwyas been freindly and never given us a problem. We actually ran into a group of native guys that were lost and trying to get to Fort Ware We topped up there tank and put them in the right direction. We took a wrong turn and ended up in small little village on the side of lake one day last year and we talked with the native guys there and they seemed fine about us. The grizz on the other hand have torn the crap out of a couple camps. We have seen lots of grizz in the zone. There is tons of new road in the area we hunt becasue they have been harvesting for the past five years. The trick of course is too get off the main roads We can't use ATV's in the fall so we hike and hunt along the river allot. There is allot of country but the guys are right other than the main roads access can be a bit tricky.

Yup, I've noticed that ATV's are not permitted, jeez I wish I hadn't missed that but oh well. I'll giver a try (assuming I get the tag), and worse comes to worse and I'm unsuccessful I can explore many zones on the drive back down lookin for a nice blackie.

On the spring hunt that I was on we both shot nice Blackies on the first day .My partner missed a shot on a nice boar Grizz on the trip also.The odds seem promising for the spring hunt. Good luck.