Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Clothing Brands for Hunting..

Re: Clothing Brands for Hunting..

cabelas gortex jacket and pants outer layer, inside layer is flece, then a merino wool shirt. Fleese pants and merino wool long underwear if needed. Layers is the key.

Any wool is a great under layer to start. Keeps you cool when it's warmer (wicks moisture) and warm when it cold. Even when wet, wool will keep you warm.
    Then go with a less expensive outer shell with the camo print you like. The game are probably less picky than we are when it comes to the different types of print

Quote Originally Posted by ChilliwackWinchester View Post
    Any wool is a great under layer to start. Keeps you cool when it's warmer
    X2

I use army surplus wool pants and a columbia wool jacket for most trips. They both work great, and the pants are dirt cheap and last forever.

rocky gear is also not to bad for the price eathier

If I could afford it I would have all Sitka gear. I have some various pieces not complete pants and jacket. I think its the best that you can buy. That being said I have Rivers West gear and love it. Well priced for its performance. The only true water proof gear - however when one is really pounding the mountain side it does not breathe well - that is where the Sitka Gear shines. My next set is light weight Sitka gear!!!

i have some of the cabela's MT050 camo and absolutely love it.

warm, quiet, gortex, windproof, the stuff is just awesome. a bit pricey though

I wear the same clothing hunting as I would laying out a cut block in the bush...good quality but not something like Sitka...you have to be on glue to spend $80 for gloves? Come on, it ain't that good!

The Paradox underwear from costco is great, I've worn it for DAYS in the bush so far this fall/winter and completely satisfied.

Articles of clothing like "Sitka" are meant for suckers! For example, a rain jacket from Helley Hanson (the type of jacket I wear for work for eg.) is around $80-90. HH had exclusive rights to the material and lost it a couple of years ago and now you can buy the SAME jacket in Pioneer brand for $40!! Is it worse quality? No. You just pay less.

All this "best part of Sitka gear is the layering system" talk is B.S. You can't tell me that layering is something new?! I could go into Value Village and pick up a pretty good "layering" system for $40!! Layering is nothing new and for those folks that know about dressing for any occasion mother nature throws at you, have been doing it for years.

Not trying to bash those of you who love Sitka gear, if you have the money, it is good stuff but....it ain't that good! $60 for a beenie touque? Come on....
    You'll miss 100% of the shots you don't take!

waterproof washable wool from cabelas, or the windshear fleece is pretty nice but i still like the wool. pretty pricey but you cant go wrong. If you dont like it send it back and get your money back. I like the rivers west stuff and have some of their pants, but if i didnt like them a month or two later they wouldnt take the back for exchange or refund

Big Bill has some camo gear for a good price and it wears like the rest of their line. Stanfields, poly pro thermal some camo pattern fleece from big bill and the weather proof insulated outers from them too. They have the insulated 6 pocket pant and such....it was cheap and wears well.....though the jacket was a little noiser than I would like untill it was washed and worn some but I usually have a wool pullover instead...I do a lot of walking and the jacket is usually a pain in the ass unless it might rain.

You can sometimes find great deals on Sitka at cabelas.com in the bargain cave... but they go pretty quick!
    "What doesn't break you, makes you."