Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rangefinders

Rangefinders

Hi everyone,

Here's a noob question coming from a noob:

Are rangefinders a worthwhile purchase or are they just another piece of tech gear to have to drag around with you? So far I rifle hunt and shotgun hunt but am thinking of picking up a crossbow at some point.

If they are worth it, which one would you recommend?

Thanks.

-Centerfire

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Rangefinders

I think you NEED a rangefinder for a crossbow. Which one to get is a buget thing. I have a bushnell Elite 1500 and it has never failed me in anyway, but it was only $400 ish and some people on here like to tell others to buy $2500 rangefinders for some unknowen reason.
    Are we having fun yet?

get on you can use for arrow/bolt,rifle.
    Vegetarian.. ancient word for poor hunter...

get a good one. i paid 6oo for my leica. both guys i hunt with have bushnell. to many buttons for me! one says the only good thing about his bushnell, is the warranty, broke down twice. the other says the ballistics on his is way off. simple is better, get what u can afford!
    2500 for a rf? must be a swarovski scope with a rf built in?

leica 1200. 530 at cameraland NY.
    Simple to use, lightweight, good optics.

Nice to have after the shot for rifle hunting, but a must have for arrows (bolts). I find i use mine a lot instead of carrying binos because it is less bulky.

I have a Leica CRF 1200 and I love it. I have got readings of 1135 yards on hair (cows in field).
    I paid $729.00 Canadian at Cabela's Canada (old S.I.R) which will translate from the $530.00 mentioned in a previous post when you add shipping and currency conversion etc. I looked at the Bushnell stuff and did a side by side comparison of the 1500 Elite to the Leica.
    The Bushnell didnt seem as consistant and really would not range much over 600 yards on most reflective targets. I know some guys that have the Bushnell and say they are great but the one I tested didnt measure up to the Leica at all.
    Also the Leica drops nicely into your shirt pocket...a big plus.

Not to be an ass but "would not range much over 600 yards" does not seem to usefull with a crossbow or anything else really.
    Are we having fun yet?

Bow Walker Guest

Try out a few in the stores. Buy one within your budget. Get one that gives you some sort of Angle Compensation Technology.

I've had a couple and am looking to upgrade. I'd not buy one that gives me any more than 5 x magnification. Anything higher and it makes it too hard to acquire the target quickly when you bring it up to your eye in a hunting situation.

In a hunting situation you'll be using it one-handed and holding a bow/crossbow/rifle in the other hand. Doesn't make for a steady platform for ranging a target.

The higher magnification(s), coupled with the small ocular lens, make trying to acquire the intended target a very hard thing to do.

I currently own a range finder that has an 8x magnifying system. Really hard to acquire and range any sort of target quickly.

Just my .02 worth of advice.

Quote Originally Posted by digger dogger View Post
    get a good one. i paid 6oo for my leica. both guys i hunt with have bushnell. to many buttons for me! one says the only good thing about his bushnell, is the warranty, broke down twice. the other says the ballistics on his is way off. simple is better, get what u can afford!
    2500 for a rf? must be a swarovski scope with a rf built in?
    I love my Lieca, it has only one button i need,and so easy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Centerfire View Post
    Hi everyone,

Here's a noob question coming from a noob:

Are rangefinders a worthwhile purchase or are they just another piece of tech gear to have to drag around with you? So far I rifle hunt and shotgun hunt but am thinking of picking up a crossbow at some point.

If they are worth it, which one would you recommend?

Thanks.

-Centerfire
    If you don't shoot past 300 yards with a rifle you probably don't need one. If you do, FME after 300 yards 50 yard increments matter WRT point of impact. My rangefinder has replaced my binoculars.

I don't shoot pointed sticks so I can't comment from experince but if I did I would think range would be important.

If you are needing accuracy at distance get the Zeiss, Leica 1200, or Swaro. If it's shorter (bow hunting) range the Bushnell Elite would work fine.