Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ordered a gun

PGKris Guest

Re: Ordered a gun

.410 it is. I see your points but you can't convince me that 125 fps is crucial. 125 fps is virtually nothing when you're talking guns. I see your points Marc. Still going with the .410 I can always borrow dad's 870 Wingmaster in 12ga if I get into ducks

Kris , when you're talking shotguns and steel shot that extra 125 fps means a lot. Lead is a different story. Lead shot is dencer and keeps it's energy a lot longer. The formula for energy in steel shot is if you quadrouple the speed you'll double the energy. That's why you go for a larger pellet and speed it up compared to lead.

Marc.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Congrat's on the new shotgun paintballer. You'll end up using that 12 ga. for everything once you get used to it. I use a 12 ga. for all my bird hunting. They work great on rabbits too. Widest range of shot and loads and you can buy the ammo anywhere. My 2 bits.

Just got the Mossberg in today, and I have to say its a nice shotgun
    Si vis pacem para bellum
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Marc
    Kris , when you're talking shotguns and steel shot that extra 125 fps means a lot. Lead is a different story. Lead shot is dencer and keeps it's energy a lot longer. The formula for energy in steel shot is if you quadrouple the speed you'll double the energy. That's why you go for a larger pellet and speed it up compared to lead.
    Marc.
    Good stuff Marc. I found a big difference when shooting the 1450fps shells. Much better in terms of birds dropped and clean killed.
    When buying shotshells, make sure you read the fine print. Canadian Tire sells the Winchester High Velocity (HV) 2 3/4" shells for a good price and the Federals shells are cheap too...except the Federal shells are 1350fps. Federal makes a 1450fps shell and the packaging is the same so you have to look.
    I agree with Marc on all counts about velocity and pellet count. One of the main reasons I bought my Browning A5 was because it was a Magnum and could shoot the 3" shells. I'm a decent shot and had been using my old Wingmaster with 2 3/4" Win. HV but watching my buddy consistantly drop birds hard with his Remington 11-87 sold me on getting a 3" gun.
    I like a 20 guage for grouse but sold my old 870 pump to a buddy for his young son as I seldom go specifically for grouse anymore. The .410 does the job though, a friend has an old Reminton 1100 auto in .410 which he uses just for grouse and he does well (and it's a really pretty gun!).
    Good luck with the Mossy, let us know how you make out.
    Dano
    Buddi doing what she does best!

PGKris Guest

She's ordered and on the way. Rem. Model 870 Wingmaster in .410 Will be fun to shoot but will most likely break me. Anyone know where I can get a good deal on shells without paying ridicuolous shipping costs?