Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Site Slow W/Telus?

Re: Site Slow W/Telus?

Workin good on Telus in Nanaimo
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

OK boys and girls here's a few tips. First of all, believe nothing telus call centre reps tell you. Most of them are now offshore, and unless your questions/concerns are part of their question tree they can't think outside the box. You pay peanuts like in the Phillipines, you get chimps. So much for corporate citizenship.

For those of you that have a 3 MpS or better service, and you are beyond 2K ft from where the DSL switch is, this is my suggestion. Go to a site called www.speakeasy.net and do a speed test. This is a stable and consistent site. It will give you upload and download. If you subscribe to say a 3 MpS service you should attain at least 2.4 MpS which is 80% of your subscribed service. That is all telus will provide. If you get better than that it's a bonus. Time of day and other traffic issues should have no bearing at all on your service, it should always be the same. If you're not getting your 80% then this is what you can try. If your modem was mailed to you and you did the "home" install, you've placed those goofy filters on all your phone devices. And I mean all your devices. If you have a dish and you use the PPV feature, make sure that the phone cord plugged into your Sat receiver has a filter on it. If you have a monitored alarm system for your residence, it must be filtered also. A missing filter raises hell with the speeds, and will degrade your service. If you have a home that has a whack of phone jacks in it, this can also be service affecting as well. Even if you don't have a phone plugged into that jack, chances are it has dial tone to it. Every one of these inside wires has that DSL signal on it, and not unlike a CATV splitter that has no coax on it, it still splits the signal. This creates what is called reflection and will give inconsistent speeds and in more severe cases will lead to your modem dropping sync from time to time.

If you have any of these conditions, then you are entitled to have what's called a POTS splitter placed on your service. This is in essence a whole house filter that designates a jack location for the modem. The filtering is done where the tel line enters your residence and it eliminates the need for those other filters and most importantly it gets rid of the issue of the DSL signal being weakened. As the modem jack is designated you can't move the modem to another location in your home unless you then designate a different location. Remember, only one modem per service. Most of the modems are wireless now, so you either have a 2-Wire or a Siemens modem and they will broadcast your signal for a city block so anywhere in your house will be ok. This fix is a no cost one for telus customers no matter what anyone may try and tell you. In fact it is now considered to be a company standard, especially for the higher speed services. It's relatively simple to do unless there's a rewire issue, but if you get someone that knows their stuff it's doable.

If you get the song and dance that this or that isn't possible, just insist. If that doesn't work demand it and tell them you'll go to Shaw unless they step up to the plate. Telus is in a major pissing match with Shaw right now and they're offering some decent deals if you bundle your services. They're also doing it with no contracts which is a plus. There are other things that can affect your DSL but this is the most common. Drop a pm if you get no satisfaction.

Tested on Speakeasy:

Download Speed: 2.6MB/S
    Upload Speed: .7MB/S

HBC is the ONLY website I visit that seems to have this problem. And as already mentioned, I host several websites in the same place as HBC and my sites are having no issues.

I'd be all over Telus but for right now they are the only gig in my area and I need to have the connection for work.

Carl
    Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!

on shaw and no problems. Very quick. Let us know when you figure it out Carl

Carl

Welcome to my world. As I have said in a few different posts, HBC usually takes anywhere between 45-60 seconds to load a page. I usually have a couple other sites open just to pass the time. The other sites.....5 seconds to load a page is slow. My wife gets pi$$ed as it can take up to 2 hours just to review a days posts, and I do not read 50% of them.

It is the same for my wife's laptop. At work it is fast, 10 seconds tops and work is less that a KM down the road from our house.

Telus has done nothing and will do nothing. They are supposed to be upgrading our lines, but we will see.

An interesting note is that my HBC site started to go slow soon after all the adds were placed on the site. Not sure if my anti/spy ware (AVG) is causing the slowdown or not.

Please let me know if you get anywhere and there is a correction to all this.

Good luck

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

I'm on telus high speed - only the occasional issue with it freezing - restarting IE or my computer cures it though, so I think it's on my end, lightning fast the rest of the time. It does this on other sites as well. I'm running IE 8, if that makes any differance. Good luck!
    Pretend hunter.

Hey Guys...

Not really sure what to suggest. This, for me is one of the snappiest forums I know, and I take pride in that. Granted the ads do slow it down a touch, but not seconds like you're describing.

bigwhiteys, can you PM me? The few people on here that seems to say the same thing are on Telus. I understand that you have sites on the same hosting company, however there could be a few things that differ. I would like to look into this a little further.

PS. If you're using Windows (or even a MAC), I suggest ensuring that Windows proxy settings are disabled. From the control panel, go to Internet Options and click on the Connections Tab. Once you are here, click on the LAN settings button and make sure everything is "Unchecked", including "Automatically Detect Settings".

Spencer.

Hi Spencer,

I have a hard time believing this is a hosting/server issue and am doubtful that LiquidWeb could do anything about it. Marc or yourself could try phoning them and asking though. They are available by phone 24 hours a day with english speaking level III server techs. Unreal tech support.

Personally I think there is something up with Telus but have exhausted my exp****tion options.... including trying on a brand new PC.

Life hasn't been the same for me since...

I'll PM you.

Carl
    Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!

I to have noticed that the pages take about 20-30 secs to load. The Hunting bc banner loads instant then the page is white for 20-30secs. My download speed is about 5.2 on telus.

Try SuperAntiSpyware, I downloaded the free edition and it fixed and found stuff that the other programs you mentioned couldn't deal with.

Not saying that is your issue but it could be.

I am using telus and honestly its the best its been in a long while. Ain't perfect but its been working pretty well.
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master
    -Gatherer of the Elk meat