Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Site Slow W/Telus?

Site Slow W/Telus?

Hey Everyone,

Starting a few weeks ago HBC has become the absolute slowest site I visit. ANY page takes at least 30-60 seconds just to load.

Now, I know the site sits on a new server, and I host several websites with the same company so I don't feel it's the server. My own websites that are hosted at the same facility all load super quick, no issues at all.

It could be some server specific settings but the server itself is plenty big enough for this task.

I have tried:

1. Different Browsers (IE/FireFox/Chrome)
    2. Different Computers (I have 3 PC's and a Laptop in the house)
    3. Changing Modems (Telus sent me a brand new DSL modem)
    4. Virus/Spyware/Registry cleaning. (AVG,Adaware,Malwarebytes,RegVac)

None of the above has worked... To top it off, I even built up a brand new computer and then tried... Same thing! Slow as molasses.

I've narrowed it down to the following

1. Something is screwed up with Telus. (anyone else on Telus having issues?)

2. Google Adsense is having an issue (this has happened in the past with 1000's of websites serving their ads. I think they can fix if notified.)

3. MYSQL Connections - By default your server setting for MYSQL connections is like 150 if I remember correctly. Ask LiquidWeb if they will increase that, or even show them this post and see what they say.

Is there anyone else out there having similar issues?

Carl
    Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Site Slow W/Telus?

i am i talked to telus yesterday about it cause mine is super slow sometimes . they said they are doing some work on the system.

have had no problems on shaw.

Nothing wrong on this side of the pond. And we too use Telus.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Carl I have seen in recent weeks several incredibly high latency instances not just with this site but with many TELUS HSIA sites...basically it looks like several of the TELUS core elements and DNS servers that service TELUS consumer services are seeing high degradation and capacity issues and as a result we are seeing problems like this. Now before someone says well just add more capacity you have to remember that this equipment serivces hundreds of thousands of people and businesses while costing several million dollars. A couple people I spoke with advised that they are in process of correcting it, but unfortunately it takes time to get the equipment and they also have to plan network outages. That being said, in all honesty I have never noticed HBC to be any slower than another other site when these slowdowns occur, but of course everyone's experience differs in the Wild Wild West now known as the Internet.
    Ask me no questions and I will tell you no lies.
    Support www.residentpriority.ca

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
    Lowering the corporate tax rates is a good thing, it gives corporations more profits so they can afford to give employees raises and other perks. OR if the company is on the brink of financial disaser it can help to keep those jobs for a while longer.

Carl, I thought I was the only one with this issue!

I'm with telus....it is so bad on this site, I need to open a couple windows to even do anything productive.

I'm not a computer guy at all....I don't know what to do
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted..." Jose Ortega y Gasset

Telus is working fine for me.
    You just gotta be smarter than the tool your working with

I had a similar problem with Shaw a couple of weeks ago. Turned out other people in my neighbourhood had the same problems which was caused my an older style modem. New modem...problem solved.

Too bad that didn't work for you, BW.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Same problems here. Seems like those of us in the central interior on Telus are experiencing the same "slow" issues. I've tried all the same fixes as yourself with no luck. Seems to be just with the HBC site, as when I log into any others they are fast.......hook ups within seconds. I have new laptop/wireless connection, plus wired desktop, both suffer very slow link to HBC site but no other sites. Changing browsers does not help either.

I'm no computer guru by any stretch, but it seems obvious to me the problem is with Telus' hooking up to HBC........in layman's terms; could it be the Telus firewall/security settings and the interaction between Telus and HBC server ?

By way of example; I just timed how long to preview this post.....it took 50 seconds

Carl I have seen in recent weeks several incredibly high latency instances not just with this site but with many TELUS HSIA sites...
    HBC is actually hosted in Indiana USA. What's wierd is that I also have several sites hosted on by the same company. My sites receive millions of visitors every year and they are all working top notch through my Telus connection. No problems at all....

HBC seems to be the only site that is affected from my cpu(s).

It sucks there are others with this problem, but with enough pressure maybe Telus can get it corrected?

I like coming to HBC, but in the time it used to take me to surf the latest posts and see what's up the homepage still isn't even loaded yet!

Carl
    Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!