Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Canning Game meat

Re: Canning Game meat

If you did not grow up with a family that has bottled/canned as long as you remember, use a PRESSURE COOKER!

You don't get a second chance with botulism!

Very best,

ian

I read a heck of a lot about canning in the last few weeks as I have been putting up a ton of veggies from the garden. From what I gather the reason for the pressure canner when canning certain foods, meat and fish especially, is to be able to reach a sustained temperature of 240f, or more, as botulism isn't killed at 225f (boiling point). It actually thrives in an environment without oxygen. Apparently dirt, when it comes to vegetables, is the source of it. I don't know where it comes from meat and fish though.

Canned moose is excellent, as others have attested to, and well worth doing.
    Theres no place like home! Unless of course you are out hunting!!

Well my wife bought me a pressure cooker for Christmas, it's now wrapped and under the tree so I'll have to wait until after Christmas to try it out on some of the deer I got this fall. I'm also going to give a bit of bear meat a try and see how that works out.

I received a bottle of moose from my wife's uncle in Newfoundland. He made it up with some onion soup powder mix and it turned out awesome.I'm guessing he just stirred it in with the meat chunks before bottling it.

I'm hoping to maybe do up some bottled duck if I get so lucky over the Christmas holiday.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

We have canned lots over the years, the water bath works but the canner is way better and safer! I would braze the meat at high heat and season the hell out of it before putting it in the jars, a touch of Liquid smoke in some of them, make sure every thing is clean and very hot when you put the meat in the jars!!! Keep the kids out of the kitchen!!! Do Not use old lids!!! Do not use any jars that are chipped or have any hair line cracks!!! Have fun, its very rewarding!!! Go on line for cook times and "elevation" levels, it makes a difference!!! I also canned smoked fish, went like Candy!!!