Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canning Game meat

Canning Game meat

Anybody tried canning game meat,tried some moose from Newfoundland the other day and it was to die for.My mom has a canner and want to try it any tips would great.Thx Rick
    Work too much Hunt to little, If I only didn't have a wife,kids ,mortgage_ _ _ _ nah I'd be dead.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Canning Game meat

My Brother and Uncle did it for years. Just follow the tips in the canning book. BCKID
    Stay between the ditches/I like my TRUCK
    Once you hit 50 you don't have to justify anything you want to buy!!

i tried some that my uncle did about a year ago, pour it out and add some potatoes and veggies makes a great stew.

Yup I do it couse I live on a sailboat with no reefer so i do burger and cubes. I have a freind who does half a moose every year in the field for the same reason. The way I learned was from mom couse she did it to. Just be carefull and follow the instrutions carefully. Ask mom for the recipe, thats what she's there for.
    Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Sorry Ozone you are correct

Wink Re: Canning Game meat

I have done both moose & venison.Only problem is a Qt. sealer is to much for 2 people with spuds & vegs..DAN>>>

Posted this above under Bear hunting, but if you missed it there, here it is again:

I didn't get a bear last year, but a buddy just gave me half a bear he had frozen in quarters. Tasty tender beast too!

Well what do you do with one-quarter of a thawed out bear?

Can it.

My wife thawed it out, cut it up into roast sized chunks, browned it and and roasted it in the oven until it was 1/2 done, then cut it up into one-pint portions, put it into jars and canned it.

She took the nicer stew meat and browned and half stewed that too and put it in cans.

Now we have twenty jars of canned bear meat to take camping and hunting.

It is real convenient, you get back to camp at dark exhausted and hungry, and instead of having to worry about taking the time to cook anything that takes a while, put on some rice or pasta, open the jar and heat it in a pan and there 's dinner!

I have canned stew and it is fantastic -- done it with beef and elk--both were deliscious--I just followed the recipe in a canning cookbook by Jean Pare--the lady who does the Company's Coming Cookbooks! When you open the stew you just have to thicken it and heat and enjoy!!! Also thickening with rice flour is much easier than with wheat flour---because rice flour has no gluten so does not clump up like wheat flour tends to ---so surprise your family with lump free gravy or sauces!

Awesome, I just looked in my freezer and I've got 4 packs of moose/deer stewing meat that was put in there in 2005 on my last hunt to the mainland . I still have a deer roast that willyQ gave me from a deer he shot back in 2004. I'm in the process of thawing this meat out and bottling/canning it for my trip to the mainland this fall. We'll see how good a job wrapping paper does. I hope it ok I hate o waste wild game. It was burried under a bunch of bear and deer meat taken afterwards.

It's very possible I'll be alone on this hunt so the easier I can make things for myself now the better.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

My body might be in Red Deer but my heart and soul are still on the Island

all the Newfies I work with out here in the patch bottle all thier deer. I am more of a roast and steak guy but some of the stuff they make is pretty tasty. It is nice when it is -40 and you can heat some up on a burner box on an N2 pump and have a nice hot meal to warm you up.
    "you can have your rifle on the dashboard and ammo clenched between your teeth and that's legal."-Gatehouse

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Awesome, I just looked in my freezer and I've got 4 packs of moose/deer stewing meat that was put in there in 2005 on my last hunt to the mainland . I still have a deer roast that willyQ gave me from a deer he shot back in 2004. I'm in the process of thawing this meat out and bottling/canning it for my trip to the mainland this fall. We'll see how good a job wrapping paper does. I hope it ok I hate o waste wild game. It was burried under a bunch of bear and deer meat taken afterwards.

It's very possible I'll be alone on this hunt so the easier I can make things for myself now the better.
    Jeesh, I dont want any of that.......talk about well aged.