Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf Trapping Thread 2010

Re: Wolf Trapping Thread 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Brambles View Post
    I heard that wolves are very suspicious of cold red meat, they won't eat it if it isn't warm. BUT I was told that they will take cold chicken, for some reason they arn't suspicous of cold chicken.

Not sure if its true but I've heard guys using that trick.

I hadn't heard that. Mr Ed...did you hear that?
    Mr Ed's seepin' now.

best of luck proguide

hope you reach your goals !

find out were the city guys dump there roadkill!

i got a whole moose last week and he even loaded the moose onto my truck which was damn lucky!!

Heres one less in region 5 today.

Good luck and thanks for helping out our ungulates. Looking forward to your stories and pictures.
    Live to Hunt...

once again I am of mixed feelings on this one, I love the thread but I hate Knowing it is the begining of the end for my season till april. Knock em dead boys and I'll be living vicariously through this thread for months to come, thanks in advance
    april fool in waiting

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    Heres one less in region 5 today.

Nice snag Tomcat

Do you run a trapline or just "clean up" the areas you run hounds (assuming you do from your avatar pic)
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

Quote Originally Posted by ElkMasterC View Post
    I hadn't heard that. Mr Ed...did you hear that?
    Mr Ed's seepin' now.

Yeah but I bet he was warm when they started eating him, what i ment was for a wolf to arbitrarily come across a cold piece of red meat that it didn't kill itself is suppose to make them suspicious.
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master
    -Gatherer of the Elk meat

No, it was cold. I know, I shot it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brambles View Post
    Yeah but I bet he was warm when they started eating him, what i ment was for a wolf to arbitrarily come across a cold piece of red meat that it didn't kill itself is suppose to make them suspicious.
    Well your right on one point , they ARE very cautious....BUT...they LOVE dead frozen beef. 2 yrs ago a local farmer shot two old cows and dumped them out in the 'back 40' in Nov....they were covered in 5 ft of snow and I started trapping off them by Feb. the wolves had a huge tunnel dug down into the carcass's...I nailed 2 wolves off it.
    As well, wolves who are familiar with beef and calving season regularly eat off the farmers bone piles ( discarded carcass's). Last winter I drug a BIG dead old cow into a trap zone and a month later nailed 2 more off the frozen beef.
    Look back into the wolf trapping thread you will also see a photo of a dead deer frozen under a water filled ditch...the photo shows the claw marks from the wolves digging ( or scratching) down into the ice to slowly eat at the frozen meat

good luck Steve. I know you will get your 20.
    "you know there are a lot of mountain bikers in the area" she looked at me weird when I said back to her " Thats fine, I'm not hunting mountain bikers today" Brambles