Page 11 of 47 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf Trapping Thread 2010

Thumbs up Re: Wolf Trapping Thread 2010

Quote Originally Posted by proguide66 View Post
    Just recieved word that there is a HUGE pack of wolves in the Makenzie Basin....our wintering zone and also where I nailed that HUGE wolf last yr , the black one in the foot trap and a late season grey early pring...en route in with a monster load of snares and bait....camera along this time!...the trap line owner is also along to set numerous foot traps....this should be good!

Good news for you Steve go get them bud hope you nail them good ,best of luck .

Re: Wolf Trapping Thread 2010

We went in , it was hell. What normally would be a 20 minute sled ride was 3 hrs....stuck 4 times , once upside down in a creek bed...was soaked through before I even started setting.
    Sure enough its a frikkin wolf party going on in there...right at the intersection where I nailed the huge one last yr there is a string of majorly used scent posts , a trough of tracks , trails branching of in every direction....they also dug up the old deer legs from last winter.
    We set ft traps at 3 scent posts and I set around 40 snares all together...I also stomped a deer head/ beaver parts and rotton old halibutt bait into the snow all over for them to keep busy digging up..a whole beaver was also hung from a bowed over willow and hangs 6 ft off the ground...would be funny to know what they were thinking when they find the herring and octopus!...all this gear is spread out over 200 yrds...took a few pics of sets but didnt get into the camera much due to my fingers freezing off and sticking to everything I touched....sokaed and damned cold.
    Hopefully we catch an important member of the pack and they keep mingleing around and get more snarled up....I will check this spot in a week...the line owner will check the ft traps every 3 days.

Here's a couple pics...will take more later!...note the wolf trail under the snare...

I live just over the hardwoods in the back left...can shoot there from the wolf area...but have to sled wayy down river to get there....grr....

here's looking up the valley toward north creek/hurley

And here's the incentive!

well I hope this picture works I have never posted before. I ussually just read but thought you guys would enjoy this one. I got these four wolves last weekend up the Graham Halfway country
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1220091040[1].jpg 
Views:	616 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	2471  

Love this thread. Cant wait for updates

Quote Originally Posted by huckalowitch View Post
    well I hope this picture works I have never posted before. I ussually just read but thought you guys would enjoy this one. I got these four wolves last weekend up the Graham Halfway country

Trapping or hunting??? sitting on bait or luck?
    Time waits for no one, Hunt Now!

Was out on the trap line and came across where the wolves had killed a 5 point bull Elk. It was a grizzly sight there was blood down the road about 1 km. then they got him in the bush. there was blood sprayed 4 ft. up into the trees. So I set about 30 snares around it.

Quote Originally Posted by huckalowitch View Post
    Was out on the trap line and came across where the wolves had killed a 5 point bull Elk. It was a grizzly sight there was blood down the road about 1 km. then they got him in the bush. there was blood sprayed 4 ft. up into the trees. So I set about 30 snares around it.
    Good work!....We are ALL about the pics on this thread!!...would have been interesting for guys to see the blood trail as well...keep up the great work!

caught this one two days ago,missed a few more but hopin to get them the next time they come back.Went out boxing day to break trail to make more bait sites and found a fresh elk kill that the wolves just killed and they must have heard us comin because they haven't started eating yet.i draged the elk into a willow patch on the edge of the river and set over 50 snares around the elk,the elk was a 6 x 6 that would score around 280.sorry i have no pics of the elk kill but i had no camera with me.snare count to date is about 160 and hopin to get more out in the next week......bradthe wolverine was caught at a bait in a wolf snare it weight 30 pounds and the wolf weight 90 pounds an was a female.wolf count to date is 9, 6 blk and 3 grey

Good looking wolverine.
    Bonus!