Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Importing a bow into canada

Importing a bow into canada

So I found a good compound bow package online and to avoid extra shipping/taxes/tariffs I'm thinking of getting it shipped to an address in the states and then picking it up and bringing it back. Or getting a friend to pick it up and bring it backfor me. I was just wondering if anyone here knew of any restrictions on importing bows/arrows/broadheads and whether it would be free to bring back to canada if i stayed in the states for a few days. Experiences?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Importing a bow into canada

i just received my bow from southern US. took a week, spent one day in customs, no fees or duty.

Theres a place in blaine called www.pacificmailandparcel.com they make it super easy for getting more colorfull things across the line. It is 300 m over the border at the truck crossing and they charge very little. I think it is $10 a year and $2.50 a package. I use them all the time for car parts and toys hunting and otherwise.
    Are we having fun yet?

Thanks for the tip. And Jaywill, was your bow new or used?

it was used off of ebay , but it was declared and nice surprise no duties or holdup. found a hoyt for 120 bucks , i was the only bidder .

I bought my last bow on ebay. Shipped ups costs about 60 bucks on delivery extra at the most.( thats with ups broker fees and duty)

you can avoid broker fees by going to customs and paying a lot less even though ups shipped the product.
    I did that with a headlight i ordered from the states. went to pick it up from ups and they told me it was 80 for brokerage fees but I can go to customs to pay the duty (they werent supposed to tell me that)
    Last edited by bigshark; 12-04-2009 at 03:35 PM. Reason: update

Well on this deal shipping is free anywhere in the states. So I'm wondering how much I'll get charged tariff-wise if I go get it and then bring it to Canada.

I bought a bowtech guardian package out of Kansas city 2-3 years ago when Bowtech wasn't distributed in BC as well as it is now. Shipped in a hard case through USPS/Canada Post in 10 days. No customs hassle or duties - made in the USA so it falls under NAFTA. You will have to pay GST on the declared value though. The process was painless - except for wiat.

As far as i know, bows are an unregulated item in the US and in Canada. there shouldn't be any importation issues/restrictions...

After each absence of 24 hours or more:
    You can claim up to CAN$50 worth of goods without paying any duties. This is your personal exemption. You must have the goods with you when you arrive and you cannot include tobacco products or alcoholic beverages in this exemption. If the goods you bring in are worth more than CAN$50 in total, you cannot claim this exemption. Instead you have to pay full duties on all goods you bring in.

After each absence of 48 hours or more
    You can claim up to CAN$400 worth of goods without paying any duties. You must have the goods with you when you arrive. Although you can include some tobacco products and alcoholic beverages, a partial exemption may apply to cigarettes, tobacco products or manufactured tobacco. See the section called "Alcohol and tobacco" for more details.

After each absence of 7 days or more
    You can claim up to CAN$750 worth of goods without paying any duties. Although you can include some tobacco products and alcoholic beverages, a partial exemption may apply to cigarettes, tobacco products or manufactured tobacco. See the section called "Alcohol and tobacco" for more details. With the exception of tobacco products and alcoholic beverages, you do not need to have the goods with you when you arrive.