Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: spring bears and the bow?

Re: spring bears and the bow?

Your bow will do the job, and its great getting started in this type of hunting just practice most animals I shoot with a bow are 20 to 40 feet away I had them as close as 5 feet away. I purchased a bow when I was a kid and taught myself shooting in my backyard always enjoyable past time at least the wife knows where I am if she can't find me, I'm in the back shooting my bow.

bsa30-06- Thats great that you are taking lessons. Only one evening on bowhunting will barely scratch the surface though. See if you can find an organization that offers the International Bowhunter Education program. This is a 2 day course that covers most things to do with bowhunting ie:equipment,shot placement, ethics etc. The Traditional Bowhunters of BC will be offering a course in Nanaimo on March the 5th, 6th. The cost is $40.00 and you get a great text book. If you are interested someone from here may be able to put you up for the nite. Also the instructor is from the lower mainland and there could be a break in transportation also. Contact Denny at 250 722-2613.

Onesock, i agree one class is definitley not enough but its a start, i basically took these classes to learn proper shooting form and get a little experience before deciding on a bow.I have learned alot and got to shoot a couple different bows.I guess they get alot more people taking these classes to either learn to shoot just for recreation or to shoot tourneys.If you have never used a bow before(like me ) you'll get alot of helpful info from these classes.

You are right 06'.

Hey BSA 30-06 , I know the instructers and they are well versed and are good people. It also sounds like they have good student who is doing things in a sequence that will pay off sooner then you think .
    Best of luck in your archery /bowhunting ventures !!!!

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

thanxs greybark i've always believed that if your going to do something do it right, and to the best of your ability, if that means you have to take lessons and ask alot of what some people might think are dumb questions then so be it.

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by mcrae555
    Hey Thunderstix

I sold the Hatfield to a fella in Alberta so it ended up in a good home. I am pretty happy with my Hunter but you get all the credit for getting me interested in archery again!

Jason
    Wow! Cool!
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

I'll be chasing bears this spring for sure ! First tried for bear with the bow last fall (had a thread titled the Nimpkish) and came to within 10 yards of one but it turned out to not be the bear we were stalking! So I let him walk. Pretty nerve racking experience though being that close. I too had a friend with a rifle trained on the bear the whole time.

Willyqbc, Tank and myself are planning on going after Yogi's with our bows and trying to get the kills on video. Also going to try video a bear kill with a .50 cal BP. Might even try for one with my recurve, a 1964 Redwing Hunter at 52#.
    Good luck one and all.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live!!!!!

I'm Hoping to get a shot at a Blacky this spring! 70# switchback should do it with a 125grn broadhead..... best of luck everyone...!