Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Bows VS Crossbows

Re: Bows VS Crossbows

Quote Originally Posted by Bowzone_Mikey View Post
    Where did you get these numbers from???? as i am curious to the actuall BH numbers and %

You dont hear about people complaining in AB about the GOS and the Bow only seasons ....
    in most of the province .. Bow hunters have all of sept and october before GOS opens in Novemeber ... some WMUs are GOS in late august. granted these are 2002 numbers ...14000 Bow hunters to 55000 hunters overall giver take a thou or so... thats over 25% ... I would suspect BC has similar numbers (percentage wise) Not the less than 10% that you seem to think
    Mikey,

There's a lot of background for hunting opportunities and harvest in Alberta. Also a lot of background on hunter numbers.

Tough to sum it all up in a page or two. There are still a few guys who have been around Alberta throughout the history; I suggest you contact them. There's a few university profs, some retired, and a few people still left who work for the gov. Those are probably the people to talk to.

To compare hunting in Alberta to BC and hunter numbers in Alberta to those in BC is generally pretty tough. Your assumptions are pretty wild and you do hear people complaining in Alberta, bowhunters and otherwise.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Alberta just called. They want you back.

BC, on the other hand, with record high game populations, needs to increase hunter numbers, not reduce them so that elitists like you can have the bush all to yourself.
    Perhaps you should start your own club. You seem to fight with everyone and anyone. You jump on people when all they are trying to do is contribute to a discussion. Your approach is more divisive than anything on this site. If you really think one for all and all for one is the best approach, you've definitely gotta smooth out your sales pitch. It ain't working.

doug skelly do u have something else to do other than complain about the way other hunters choose to hunt maybe if thats the case please dont post again and sit there picking your nose

OK OK lets keep it grown up.
    Are we having fun yet?

Bow Walker Guest

F-D "Spirited discussions" are great. "Heated debates" aren't bad, either. Stirring the pot in an unproductive way gets threads closed.

I don't think that anyone has noticed (or made reference to) BZ_Mikey's mention that his numbers that he is "quoting" are from 2002, and as such are 8 years out of date.

So, of course the hunter/bowhunter stats are slightly skewed.

Originally Posted by Bowzone_Mikey
    Where did you get these numbers from???? as i am curious to the actuall BH numbers and %

You dont hear about people complaining in AB about the GOS and the Bow only seasons ....
    in most of the province .. Bow hunters have all of sept and october before GOS opens in Novemeber ... some WMUs are GOS in late august. granted these are 2002 numbers ...14000 Bow hunters to 55000 hunters overall giver take a thou or so... thats over 25% ... I would suspect BC has similar numbers (percentage wise) Not the less than 10% that you seem to think
    Last edited by Bow Walker; 02-08-2010 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Perhaps you should start your own club. You seem to fight with everyone and anyone. You jump on people when all they are trying to do is contribute to a discussion. Your approach is more divisive than anything on this site. If you really think one for all and all for one is the best approach, you've definitely gotta smooth out your sales pitch. It ain't working.
    Well said J_T ......And MikeH......And Hermit
    Last edited by greybark; 02-08-2010 at 12:25 PM.
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

You would think that guys that DON'T bowhunt (FD,GG,GH) would be talking to the guys that do bowhunt to learn about this aspect of hunting. It appears that guys on here have read a few articles/surveys and have proclaimed themselves experts in the field. Hermit has drwan an analogy that fits to a tee!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Onesock View Post
    You would think that guys that DON'T bowhunt (FD,GG,GH) would be talking to the guys that do bowhunt to learn about this aspect of hunting. It appears that guys on here have read a few articles/surveys and have proclaimed themselves experts in the field. Hermit has drwan an analogy that fits to a tee!!!
    Having used long bows, recurves, compound and crossbows both at the range and in the field, I question if the Hermits silly little pictures can really enhance my knowledge of the similarities and differences between crossbows and compounds...
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Onesock View Post
    I was out hunting with a bow in my hands this fall. First deer I ever saw killed was when I was probably 7 or 8 and was with my old man; he shoots a recurve.

Couple of buddies are heavily involved in promoting archery, 3D shoots, kids getting into archery and hunting. They also shoot animals (not wt does or cow elk) with their bows which is the walking part of the talk. Some of them have got plenty of training from experts (real experts, not self-proclaimed), they shoot a lot and they shoot well. If and when I have a question about bows or shooting a bow I ask them. At this point I'm not too worried about the hunting part - generally speaking I don't have problems with other people in the bush and I don't feel like other people ruin my experience when I'm out hunting or that removing them enhances hunting.

While I'm not a self-proclaimed expert on bowhunting, it appears, to me anyway, I have done a bit of it and have a few buddies who are involved and knowledgeable. Granted I don't ask you or most of the 'bow only' guys on here questions, neither do my buddies; there's good reason for that.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Gate- How many animals have you harvested with your bow?
    GG-The reason you don't ask the guys on here is you really don't want to hear what they have to say. It wouldn't fit with your agenda. Ya you probably know other people that do alot of other things also. Are you an expert in that too?