Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Made Wall Tents?

Re: Home Made Wall Tents?

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    I think they would sweat a lot... condensation dripping on you all night would suck. Yes I'm biased with a vested interest!
    It was surprising even at -30 it wasn't bad. We also doubled up on the tarps. It's a pain carrying all the poles for it and you also have to build a wood frame for the stove pipe.

It doubled as boat storage in the winter. The real thing is better for sure.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Princess Auto in Kelowna has Military surplus tent poles. They are various lengths with couplers to fit together in most tent formations. They are about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" and made from dense fibre-glass. Fairly heavy I suppose, but also very strong.
    They also have all sizes of slicker canvas that the truckers use. VERY heavy stuff and very expensive.

I had a look, but figured I could do the same thing in the bush with some pecker-poles and rope. Nothing to pack in or out.
    Side benefit of tarps is they let alot of light through.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    I think they would sweat a lot... condensation dripping on you all night would suck. Yes I'm biased with a vested interest!
    I would use a wood heater, a propane heater would create huge amounts of condensation under a plastic tarp.

I second wood heat. If you keep the inside temp of the tent at a comfortable temp you shouldn't get too much sweat at all, might also need to crack a corner to allow the moisture to escape. Same as your house, shop, ect ect.

Propane can work if its via heat exchange (like a camper furnace). The intake/exhaust would have to be open the the exterior, and basically the flame merely heats up the external surface and therefore radiates heat into the tent.

The biggest argument I could personally see on canvas vs tarps would be that canvas would absorb any excess moisture, be quieter on breezy nights, and possibly be a little more comfortable. Tarps would most likely be lighter and unless you get the canvas for free or as surplus, tarps would definitely be cheaper. PVC pipe works but you need to use larger diameter/heavier pipe to handle any possible snow load. After a dozen or so beer at the end of the night, its all the same anyways! Just my .02. LR
    Last edited by Lone Ranger; 12-01-2009 at 06:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stitch View Post
    the car port works great. Use plywood on each end with a wood stove up at the ranch...you can't beat the price and comfort.
    This set up definately works great. The Costco units are around $200 bucks and come with windows now and the corners seal up much better. I have the older version which I cut down the uprights down about 16"; but there is still tons of head room. Use plywood or OSB for the wood stove end and a sheet metal sleeve for the pipe. Fashion a door in the other end out of the same material and you have a cozy structure with tons of room. I agree you get some condensation, but I think that could be easily over come by installing a vent in the peak (on the to do list).

A wall tent is the real deal, but this is pretty liveable at a fraction of the cost. The other nice touch is that you do not have to worry about mildew or rot.

Here's one that even a mother couldn't be proud of, but let me tell you, it worked real well. It was warm and at the time we made it none of us had the extra cash to be able to buy a wall tent. We had a house door on it and a wood stove and it beat the sh#t out of a camper at -20 in the Chilcotin mountains!!

Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

tomahawk, are you guys carpenter's?..... One thing about using tarps is the extreme fire hazard they present, fire resistant canvas would be alot safer.

LOL I have to laugh that thing is classic Tomahawk

I would rather stay in a cardboard box than nothing if it meant hunting or not so whatever a guy can come up with is good regardless of what it looks like.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
    Here's one that even a mother couldn't be proud of, but let me tell you, it worked real well. It was warm and at the time we made it none of us had the extra cash to be able to buy a wall tent. We had a house door on it and a wood stove and it beat the sh#t out of a camper at -20 in the Chilcotin mountains!!

lol thats classic...... I do agree that it would be easier and quicker to setup a store bought wall tent. too much crap to deal with for a self built one. Unless you come up with a offseason rig that works well.

Quote Originally Posted by lip_ripper00 View Post
    Wow - that's pretty neat lip_ripper00 - how did you make it? and how long to set it up? any pics of the inside....

Any reason why you would not use that set up, and rather a commercial wall tent?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"It is astonishing how much room there is in the air around a duck!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!- Rudyard Kipling

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012

This is where I come from (click)