Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Packers...???

Devilbear Guest

Re: Packers...???

Good question, speaking from memory and it is 3-4 years ago, it seems to me that he offered a jetboat into Tuchodi Lakes and various other methods of entry to his area. I could well be mistaken and I cannot find my hunting papers as everything is packed away as we had basement flooding and are now doing repairs.

I will just call him and ask what he offers, maybe for next season, depending on my finances after Christmas. I really prefer a straight "drop camp" where I supply all my own grub, camp and gear and look after myself, however, I am a novice with horses and might pay for a wrangler to pack any animal that a geezer like me can still see to shoot.......

I have never been to Tuchodi and want to go there and camp for awhile, so, I might just fly in on my own and spend a couple of weeks in peace and quiet before hunting season commences.

if you want a straight drop camp but without horses call kevin willis riverjet adventures. he drops guys off with his jet boat for do it your self camps and hunts. the scenery around tuchodi lakes is spectacular, but the best elk hunting is down the river several miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilbear View Post
    The facts are that some Americans have immigrated to BC as have some Germans, etc. and have legally entered the GO industry; these people LIVE HERE all year, obtain Canadian citizenship and at that point, they have the same rights as any among us.
    Actually not quite true as I recently found out in one case in particualr. When trying to track down one outfitter, my hunting partner eventually got a call through and found the guy back in Texas at his permanent residence (and ranch).

I've yet to meet a Texan that didn't have more mouth than a cow's got (uh) udder. The chance of me ever going into the bush for 10 days with one is slim to nil. Plus they are damend expensive compared to others.

Cheers!

A-S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzKTOUkroU0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpQE9N0OCnA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ882QYzr-M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozBVguR5lrA&feature=fvst

Every body seems to have good things to say about Stan and for good reasons. I used his horses on 5 trips now. This last year a group of us went in to Touchodi lake from Tetsa, had a great hunt till the folks from Touchodi outfitters called down the CO's saying that what Stan does is illegal packing. They held him and his rig up in Ft.Nelson for three days and he missed hi next set of clients. He's getting pinched out by the big outfitters that bought up most of the packing liscences. When guys like him quit fighting then guys like us will loose big. Wonder if there's anything that can be done to help.

Quote Originally Posted by bridger View Post
    if you want a straight drop camp but without horses call kevin willis riverjet adventures. he drops guys off with his jet boat for do it your self camps and hunts. the scenery around tuchodi lakes is spectacular, but the best elk hunting is down the river several miles.
    You nailed that one on the head bridger. You can still get a fifty -five inch moose, six-point Elk and more G.bears than I have ever seen. You just have to know where to go ''down river.''
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to'The Canadian Government ' for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

I went with Robert York in the Gathto twice, had real good hunts both times, got our sheep both times, good gear and camps, tons of elk. Since we were experienced with horses he just sort of gave us the horses and turned us loose, we had a wrangler with us but we all helped, can get on the trail alot quicker with three guys packing compared to just one. He had a couple of pretty ranchy horses at that time, for experienced horse guys they were OK, but would have been tough to handle for dudes. One trip was the first one of the season and the horses were fat and out of shape, but that didn't really create a problem. Barry Tompkins now owns that outfit. Top notch game country in the upper reaches of that valley.

I also went up the Muskwa with Guy Scott once. That was purely a sheep only backpack hunt and he just dropped us off on the riverbank and away we went on our own. That was a very good trip as well and we got one really good ram.

I've also heard lots of good things about Jeff Brown, only met him once, but he seemed like a very nice fellow.

Devilbear Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iron sights View Post
    Every body seems to have good things to say about Stan and for good reasons. I used his horses on 5 trips now. This last year a group of us went in to Touchodi lake from Tetsa, had a great hunt till the folks from Touchodi outfitters called down the CO's saying that what Stan does is illegal packing. They held him and his rig up in Ft.Nelson for three days and he missed hi next set of clients. He's getting pinched out by the big outfitters that bought up most of the packing liscences. When guys like him quit fighting then guys like us will loose big. Wonder if there's anything that can be done to help.
    This is both interesting and very disturbing, it seems as though they still think that they and their Yankee clients have some special "claim" to the best hunting in BC. This is the same old story that has gone on in that region for decades and the best way to fight back is to just tell them that it is time to BAN all foreign hunting in BC.

IF, a GO EVER even tried to screw up a hunt I was on, my reaction would be utterly ruthless and as destructive to his business as I could make it. I have the "education", financial resources, time, health and determination to conduct a campaign to advocate BC citizen's hunting in BC ONLY and I kinda think that such a person would live to regret his behaviour.

This kind of crap happens, BECAUSE WE ALLOW IT TO and, if and when we DEMAND our rights, we will prevent such unacceptable behaviour by GOs...or, maybe, just put them out of business, permanently.
    Last edited by Devilbear; 01-28-2010 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iron sights View Post

Iron Sights.....there has to be way more to this story.....was Stan or a wrangler with you in the group?

Otherwise, if it is just you and a group of your friends, with a bunch of rented horses and tack, Warrens group wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

If you had a wrangler or Stan in your group......the optics would suggest he was packing ..........no?

Quote Originally Posted by Devilbear View Post
    This is both interesting and very disturbing, it seems as though they still think that they and their Yankee clients have some special "claim" to the best hunting in BC. This is the same old story that has gone on in that region for decades and the best way to fight back is to just tell them that it is time to BAN all foreign hunting in BC.

IF, a GO EVER even tried to screw up a hunt I was on, my reaction would be utterly ruthless and as destructive to his business as I could make it. I have the "education", financial resources, time, health and determination to conduct a campaign to advocate BC citizen's hunting in BC ONLY and I kinda think that such a person would live to regret his behaviour.

This kind of crap happens, BECAUSE WE ALLOW IT TO and, if and when we DEMAND our rights, we will prevent such unacceptable behaviour by GOs...or, maybe, just put them out of business, permanently.
    DB, did you contact Warren to see if he'd drop camp you in his territory?

Quote Originally Posted by budismyhorse View Post
    I
    If you had a wrangler or Stan in your group......the optics would suggest he was packing ..........no?
    Stan is very aware of "optics" and does not offer services a packer will. He doens't saddle your horse, put up your camp, cook or clean or chop wood or go find your horses in the morning, hunt with you, guide you or anything else.

Actually, that brings up a question- I wonder if it's actually even legal for a hunter to hire a wrangler to care for your own horses while you hunted? Actually, I will make that into a thread.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!