Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Packers...???

where the hell am i anyways this isnt where i left the truck

Packers...???

How many guys have hired a packer on a northern hunt? did it go well? not so well? any info helps. I know a lot of them have been bought out by outfitters but there is still a few around any one I should check out? Any info helps, I would like to do a hunt with a couple friends and dad one fall for moose elk bou sheep the usual. No real priority animals just want a opportunity to get back in the hills with a good pack outfit. thanks for any info. YJ
    Many a child journeys this high to be different. To get from here what their natures couldn't get them below. lt comes to nothing. Can't cheat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got it own ways.

2. Site Sponsor

Devilbear Guest

Re: Packers...???

I went with one on a single trip as I had wanted to book for that year with a GO who is now retired, but, he was booked and could not take me. I was totally disgusted by this sleazeball and I would never consider going with him again...and others have told me of their poor experiences with him since my trip.

Some of the GOs offer "transporting" services to res. hunters, but, remember that they are not likely to take you into their finest sheep country, either. In their place, I would not do this as the sheep are big bux and why would they want a res. to shoot a "cranker" ram that some Yankee will pay 40K to "hunt" and put on his den wall to impress his fat buddies.

I would look at the better GOs first and see what "Stone Mountain", "Tuchodi Outfitters" and "High and Wild" may have to offer. These outfits USED to and may still offer special hunts for we "resident-peasants" that are not "guided" by some adolescent from Alberta or Saskachewan and while you hunt on your own, they supply camp, wrangler and pack out your game....the most practical option, IMHO.

Call Stan at Blue Creek. I'm sure you've got lots of experience with ponies.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

where the hell am i anyways this isnt where i left the truck

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
    I read his book about riding from ft st john to the pacific, he must be a hell of a man also he has the record stone for pope and young. Heard of a packer out of toad river anyone know him (not stone mtn safaris)
    Many a child journeys this high to be different. To get from here what their natures couldn't get them below. lt comes to nothing. Can't cheat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got it own ways.

Devilbear Guest

I am a bit confused here, given your "sig line", are you not a guide?

I doubt that anyone here will post specific info. on a given packer as it could result in action for defamation and who needs the legal bills? I think that one can figure out who is what by "reading between the lines", if you follow me.............

I would like to SEE a decent "transporter" industry, but, so far, Kevin here is the only one I would trust and my experiences have made me very skeptical about some others.

I would at least check with various GOs and see what they have to offer, you might find exactly what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilbear View Post
    I went with one on a single trip as I had wanted to book for that year with a GO who is now retired, but, he was booked and could not take me. I was totally disgusted by this sleazeball and I would never consider going with him again...and others have told me of their poor experiences with him since my trip.

Some of the GOs offer "transporting" services to res. hunters, but, remember that they are not likely to take you into their finest sheep country, either. In their place, I would not do this as the sheep are big bux and why would they want a res. to shoot a "cranker" ram that some Yankee will pay 40K to "hunt" and put on his den wall to impress his fat buddies.

I would look at the better GOs first and see what "Stone Mountain", "Tuchodi Outfitters" and "High and Wild" may have to offer. These outfits USED to and may still offer special hunts for we "resident-peasants" that are not "guided" by some adolescent from Alberta or Saskachewan and while you hunt on your own, they supply camp, wrangler and pack out your game....the most practical option, IMHO.
    I find it odd, you are recommending an American owned outfit. Or did you not know Stone Mountain is owned by a group from the good old USA?

Regardless of the nationality of Stone Mtn Safaris owners, I have found them to be first class people, the type that I'm happy to have as G/O's in BC.

Earlier this year I spent about 10 days at their ranch under somewhat unfortunate circumstances (not unfortunate hunting circumstances ) -The circumstances are a long story- and they treated me like family.

They do offer some hunting experiences for residents at reduced rates, but it's dependent on availability, from what I understand. I think they get booked up by higher paying guests pretty quick, not surprising, as it seems to be one of BC's top outfits.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
    We rented horses and an outfit from Stan a few years ago. He's not a packer, but rents gear and horses and provides good training. He delivers the outfit to the trailhead.,and gets you sorted out.

Since he isn't a packer, when you hit the trailhead, you are on your own- Which is fine for anyone with even a bit of horse experience, as his training is pretty good and he trains all his own horses, so they are mostly well behaved- they spend all summer on "trail rides" so they know what the drill is...

I learned more on that trip about packing horses than I have ever learned before,and ended up more comfortable on horses than ever before, although I certainly wasn't' new to horses...It was a great trip. I'd certainly rent his horses again if I ever got off my ass and put a trip together.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Stan is top drawer but he is not a guide or outfitter. His horses are bomb proof and he sends you out on the right note. Best deal around in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Regardless of the nationality of Stone Mtn Safaris owners, I have found them to be first class people, the type that I'm happy to have as G/O's in BC.

Earlier this year I spent about 10 days at their ranch under somewhat unfortunate circumstances (not unfortunate hunting circumstances ) -The circumstances are a long story- and they treated me like family.

They do offer some hunting experiences for residents at reduced rates, but it's dependent on availability, from what I understand. I think they get booked up by higher paying guests pretty quick, not surprising, as it seems to be one of BC's top outfits.
    You would find the same at most any hunting camp. The owners are normal human beings even if from across the line as you found out.