Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Winchester Expert ammo. Don't BUY

Re: Winchester Expert ammo. Don't BUY

Well I have gone through a flat of Xperts this yr, I have only lost 3 cripples 2 were due to a corn field, and the 3rd was due low light and not wanting to screw up a flock that was locked up for my buddies.

Outside of that I have folded up ducks with #4's at an easy 30yds or better. During first goose season I was folding up geese with #2's in the 25-30yd range.

@$14.00/box When I am using a $200 Maverick shotgun and Killing just as much as the guy I hunt with his SX2 and Blackclouds. I really don't see the point, I mean every once and a while he'll fold up a bird at 40ish yards and I mean fold it up. But Most times I wouldn't look at taking that shot unless sure of prior wounding.

could just be me. I do tend to be able to get most of my birds to fully commit so basically I choose when to shoot and I'm never more then 10yards from my spread.

just my 303cents

P.S I'm a Field/Sheet puddle hunter
    Last edited by 303Brit; 11-26-2009 at 11:51 PM. Reason: post thought may be revelant
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    If you had a choice,would you use Round pellets Or oval Irregular shaped pellets?
    I dunno Adam Vinatieri Seems to have no problems kicking a oval shape thing 50yards. most of the time he even kicks it through the uprights

Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

I believe That it kills at close range. But anything over 20 yards & your pattern starts going for a ball of shit & pellets loose velocity ie more wounded birds.I believe if you are going to be manufacturing rounds & put the words Expert on the round,than the shot better be round.

I believe you guys are seasoned hunters but what about the novice hunter,s that start shooting at 50 yards. There are allot of guys on here that don't really no to wait for birds to come into range.

Quote Originally Posted by 303Brit View Post
    I dunno Adam Vinatieri Seems to have no problems kicking a oval shape thing 50yards. most of the time he even kicks it through the uprights

If the oval ball was reaching the velocity's we are talking about no it would not make it through the uprights. The round ball would have a better chance. Physics Man Physics. Unless it had the right amount of spin.I cant believe you are using this as an example.

Well I have gone through a flat of Xperts this yr, I have only lost 3 cripples 2 were due to a corn field, and the 3rd was due low light and not wanting to screw up a flock that was locked up for my buddies.

Outside of that I have folded up ducks with #4's at an easy 30yds or better. During first goose season I was folding up geese with #2's in the 25-30yd range.

@$14.00/box When I am using a $200 Maverick shotgun and Killing just as much as the guy I hunt with his SX2 and Blackclouds. I really don't see the point, I mean every once and a while he'll fold up a bird at 40ish yards and I mean fold it up. But Most times I wouldn't look at taking that shot unless sure of prior wounding.

could just be me. I do tend to be able to get most of my birds to fully commit so basically I choose when to shoot and I'm never more then 10yards from my spread.

just my 303cents

P.S I'm a Field/Sheet puddle hunter
    How many rounds in a flat?

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    How many rounds in a flat?
    10 Boxes so 250rnds

I am not here to agree or disagree, but when it comes to shooting either birds or big game animals. The means I use better be adequate, so I can make a clean kill. You ask any expert clay shooter or hunter & they will tell you the same as I am,shot has to be round. What I want to know from you hunters is,Why would you use a substandard round if you know there is a chance you will wound & loose your game?

10 Boxes so 250rnds

So you have shot & retrieved 247 birds this season?
    Last edited by Spy; 11-27-2009 at 01:25 AM.

Not quite, that sounds more like a Marc number on the season.

I patterned a box of #2's and #4's (let the wife try out the shotgun as well)

I'd say I hit 65-75% of what I shoot at (rushed second shot, tunnel vision, etc), and that 10% of those required a follow up either to enable an easy retrieve (from the tall grass or tree line) or to prevent a cripple getting away.

I would say a further 10% of my hits are multiple hunters hitting the same bird or a killshot on a bird someone else drew first blood on. Birds I didn't take home.

So by that math I should have brought home 106-122 birds less three cripples, off the top of my head I could account for 73 birds. Those were the memorable shoots that have really made me want become an all round fowler. That would leave between 30-46 birds, and given general open season has been on for about a month and a half. I have gone out every other or every third day, and I've only been skunked twice. Those numbers make sense to me.

hope this is laid out in a logical format, I am pretty tired and the youngest does not want to go back too sleep.

I am flattered you think I have downed over 240 birds though

P.S I may have hit more, but I haven't kept a logor anything so I figure I put up conservative numbers. I know I have made a tonne of Goose Jerky and roast a lot of bird this year.
    Last edited by 303Brit; 11-27-2009 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Damm fingers and post thoughts

One important thing you guys are missing here is the fact that this is Winchesters economy line. If ya wanna quit whining don't be so cheap and buck up for a premium ammo. And my offer still stands, fifty cents on the dollar and I'll take all ya got. K