Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duskies on Van Island???

Duskies on Van Island???

This is from another forum on a growing problem every year with a certain population of geese in alaska which winter in Oregon. If a certain number of them dont show up in oregon or too many get shot by accident whole areas can get shut down to goose hunting becuase their numbers are so low.

I'm curious as I know of one fellow who told me he shot one before out off the foreshore but from the sounds of this biologist theres alot more getting shot up here. Any goose you see with a Red Collar is a very big nono once it hits wash or oregon but thats whats funny about up here we have no restrictions. But I dont think we have restriction on them becuase of the low number of hunters compared to the states and the percentage of duskies we see here is much lower then in the NW permit zone in Oregon.

I've always know our government could care less about waterfowl, their bread and butter is salmon and big game. Ask our COs a question about waterfowl and they have no clue, they dont care.

Those that dont know what a Dusky is, heres a pdf guide.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources..._ch3_dusky.pdf

The biologist called me back yesterday and we had a really good discussion about the biggest problems the Dusky population is facing. By far the most destructive predator on the delta is the Bald Eagles. The Fed’s setup cameras watching Dusky nests and they recorded an 80% egg/gosling mortality rate due to the eagles. He said the pressure on the goslings is reduced when the Hooligan run is strong but if they are late or sparse, the gosling survival rate goes down significantly. He also said that he believes the 4 legged predators are already being controlled as much as possible. They have very liberal seasons for bears, wolves, foxes, coyotes and the like and many residents are actively hunting and trapping them.

I asked him what the options were to reduce the eagle count and he said they approached the Fed’s and they said, “We’re not even going to talk about that…”. The Forest Service tried an interesting experiment where they did an “Egg Taste Aversion” study. They injected goose eggs with some compound that tasted disgusting to the eagles to see if they could trick them into believing goose eggs aren’t good to eat. There was some success, but the delta is just too big to have it work on any sort of reasonable scale.

One thing they did find to increase hatching rates was installing floating fiberglass nest islands. They have vegetation on them and there were significantly higher survival rates noted. The downside is they are expensive and the Musk Rats tend to eat all the vegetation after a year, so the islands have to be replanted requiring a lot of man-hours to install and maintain.

He told me that he recorded 15 Duskies shot by hunters this year and I asked him about the response from local hunters to the implementation of a quota. He said he knew of a couple guys who didn’t hunt geese this year because of the new requirements, but most just tried to target the small number of lessers and other goose species. We didn’t discuss the issue about guilds taking clients out targeting Duskies…

I asked him if he thought hunting played any significant part in the decline of the Dusky population and this is where it got interesting… He was very confident that the number of birds shot in his region and in the NW Goose Permit Zone was so minor that they don’t compare to losses in an area that is not involved with the management of the population. This area is the Vancouver British Columbia Region, Units 1, 5 and 6. He’s concerned about the hunting pressure in this area because there is absolutely no monitoring taking place. The BC fish and wildlife service is not interested in being involved with the Pacific Flyway meetings. He said he even gets calls in Dec and Jan each year with requests for banding information for geese shot with red neck collars. Here is the British Columbia hunting regulations.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife...opsis_0910.pdf

Here’s a quick synopsis for Unit 1’s goose season (Vancouver Island): Units 1-1, 1-2, 1-4, 1-5, 1-6, 1-7 are open to goose hunting from Sept 5-13, Oct 10-Nov 22, Dec 19-Jan 10, and Feb 10-Mar 10 with a 5 bird/day bag limit. Units 1-3, 1-8, 1-9, 1-10, 1-11, 1-12, 1-13, 1-14, 1-15 are open from Oct 10 – Jan 22 with a 5 bird/day bag limit. There is no mention of Duskies. Unit’s 5 and 6 are very similar with a 5 bird/day limit and no mention of Duskies.

From talking with the biologist it is painfully clear that we need to get British Columbia involved in the Pacific Flyway Group to reduce hunting pressure on Duskies. The Cordova Advisory Committee is going to submit a letter urging just that and I think the hunters in Oregon need to pressure their counterparts to do the same thing.
    Last edited by Crazy_Farmer; 12-30-2009 at 11:25 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Duskies on Van Island???

I would bet there is next to none being shot in B.C. I wonder who the Bio was that they spoke with, J.E. maybe? What are these Hooligans that they speak of, maybe the Aggassiz crew? K

Quote Originally Posted by f350ps View Post
    I would bet there is next to none being shot in B.C. I wonder who the Bio was that they spoke with, J.E. maybe? What are these Hooligans that they speak of, maybe the Aggassiz crew? K
    I think it was probably either a OR or Alaskan Bio not J.E as they'd have the info for all the banding data on the dusky populations.

And I agree with the next to none. I sure the odd flock would come through Van Island, just like all the specks that come through. But theres not enough hunters and spots to really effect their numbers I would think.

Thanks for the interesting read Adam. I'll be taking a closer look at the Canadas that hang out around here.

Fairly classic response...

That is, we (Canada) have a more liberal bag limit then they (U.S.) does, and so we must be the problem, and must come under the ways of big brother! have observed the same about black ducks (boy where those some killer threads), Canvasbacks, Pintails, Harlequins, Scoters and Eiders.

When Manitoba put in the non-res limits on Cans etc you'd a thought we'd just asked to kill their first born!

Ian

Exactly Ian which is more birds. Realistically 20 canadian guys getting 4 cans or 1000 us residents shooting their one can. They dont seem to get that difference.

Heard once that in one eastern state they shoot more black ducks in 1 day then all of Canada does in a season, not sure if it's fact or not but illustrates the point well.

There is over 300 million in the US, just over 30 million up here, seems like simple math to me... We need to keep that in mind too, we have a larger land mass with less resources to manage it then the US, but that never comes up in discussions..

Ian

I keep an eye out for different geese but mainly we take honkers and a handful of cacklers. A few geese we thought were lessers or taverners turned out to be immature honkers.
    Hooked on quack.

An immature Honker? K

Western Canada Goose... aka Western, HONKER or Great Basin

immature: lacking complete growth, differentiation, or development <immature fruits> <a sexually immature bird>
    Last edited by HuntNHookSports; 12-30-2009 at 09:00 PM.
    Hooked on quack.