Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 calibre Hornet?

.22 calibre Hornet?

I've fired a .22 calibre rimfire before, what game would you shoot with a Hornet?

2. Site Sponsor

Post Re: .22 calibre Hornet?

Hornet is good for varmints up to the size of coyotes out to ranges of 150 yards tops.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Re: .22 calibre Hornet?

Is it not enough for Deer & Bear? what grain ammo would you fire at coyotes?

It is most definetely not suitable for deer or bear or anything, unless you were lost in the bush on survival mode and HAD to kill something to eat it.

40 or 45 gr. for coyote
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

What firebird said.

It is lawful to use it for hunting big game in BC but that doesn't make it smart to do so.

lap

What has more power a Hornet or 17Rem?

Almost any other centerfire. If your looking for something that doesn't have alot of recoil, but is still good for deer/bear look at the .243, 30-30 or .300 Savage's.

What are you looking to do with the cartridge?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky
    What has more power a Hornet or 17Rem?
    17 Rem uses a smaller bullet at incredibly higher speed. .172" diameter bullets weighing 20-25 grains at 4000+ fps. Designed to make a mess of gophers and do kill foxes and coyotes without making nasty sized exit holes in the fur.

22 Hornet is a small cased cartridge that shoots a 45 gr. bullet at 2700 fps. It is quiet and a good choice when shooting varmints in areas close to residences (fringe farmland).

I want to hunt Deer & Bears, not coyotes only because you can't eat them. I was wondering if a 17Rem would be enough?

I'm trying to find a light kicking rifle.

17Rem is definatly NOT a deer/bear gun. Like I said above look at the .243, 30-30 and that class. They don't kick and will work quite well on deer/bear.