Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tuning a Longbow?

Bow Walker Guest

Question Tuning a Longbow?

Well, as some may or may not have heard, I just got a longbow. A Bamboo-backed Hickory longbow to be exact.

The brace height is within parameters, and the draw weight is as specified - but I want to put a nocking point on the string.

Time for the "newbie/dumb" question here...

Is the nocking point established at 1/8" above or below the level mark?

Just wanna be right before I do anything wrong.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tuning a Longbow?

try starting with around 5/8 of an inch above the level nock point.

you need more clearance off the shelf than you do with a compound.
    Kinda put the compound tuning shit at the back of your mind.It doesn't work the same with a stick

For arrows,try those that are spined 5 pounds lighter than what you think you should be
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington

As Roy saiid start at 5/8 of an inch above level. If you are shooting carbons you will end up about 1/2 inch above level. Start the brace height at about 7 inches and go from there. Your bow will shoot the best at the lowest brace height that you can make work. I would also think you should be 5-10 lbs under spined on your arrows from where you think you should be. Thats it, go fling and fine tune from there. Once you get form established you can start to bare shaft your arrows to fine tune it.

Bow Walker Guest

Thanks you two.

Who'd of thunk it?!? Underspined is better? Wierd. I made up some Gold tip 7595's for their stiffness. 6 arrows at full length and the other 6 cut down by about 4.5 inches.

Looks like I went the wrong way and should have gone with the 3555's instead.

I will try the nocking point at the 5/8" mark and see how she shoots. All things being equal (and if the skies don't open up - again) I'll be able to fling my first few arrows tomorrow, while working(?) at Eagle Eye.

Thanks again.

Bow Walker Guest

Oh, yeah - Roy...I have tucked the compound tuning stuff into my back pocket for the time being. That's why I posted up here to get the straight goods. Thanks for the advice.

Leave your arrows long to begin tuning. Shorten in quarter inch cuts to fine tune for perfect arrows. You already know your knocking point for up and down. If you arrows are over spinned and you don't want to shoot a longer arrow you can increase your tips. Start your bare shaft shooting at 5yards and move back as you get the results you are looking for. I also like to use paper tuning with feathers on if you don't want to use a bare shaft. Just starting out I would increase your brace height above 7 inches for starting out. Way more forgiving if you are used to shooting a release with your compound.

I guided Denny Sturgis Jr. this fall for moose. He sent me his masters of the barebow set. 3 videos and a must for stick shooters in my oppion. Has world champion barebow shooters to the world famous longbow hunters. Has improved my shooting.

Your hooked now.
    If you're going to find tracks you better make tracks!

Your shooting needed improving!!!!!!LOL

Bow Walker Guest

I'm finding that the string needs stretching and the bow seems to like being flexed a bit.

I was told (via the included instruction sheet) not to leave the bow strung for more than 8 hours maximum.

But. I am reading "Traditional Archery" by Sam Fadala (ISBN0-8117-29433-5 Stackpole publishers) that specifically states that it is beneficial to wax the string "heavily", string the bow, and leave it "overnight" to stretch out the string a bit and to "flex" the bow. All this is prior to establishing a preliminary nocking point.

While at work today, I left the bow strung (after flinging a dozen or so arrows) and just after lunch I found that my brace height or fistmele had change by a good 1/2". So I unstrung the bow and twisted the string to re-establish the 7" fistmele and am going to leave it overnight to see the results.

After the string settles in a bit more, and I have shot a few more arrows, I will start the tuning process.

Any thoughts?

BW. I've left my recurves strung for a while. My primary hunting Chekmate Takedown has been strung for 14 years..... My sons chekmate crusader was bought in 1992 and it's been strung for most of those years.

The info everyone has given you above is perfect. I agree with 5/8's and softer spined arrows on the longbow.

Something to think about depending on how you are going to split your fingers around the nocking point. 2 under and 1 over? If you do that, consider nocking your arrow on top of your string noc. I don't do that, but I have friends who do and it's easier on the fingers and the arrows do seem to fly better for them. I hope to make that transition the next time I have my string let off and I'm tinkering.

But I've got whities to kill right now so I won't be tinkering with my set up for a bit.

JT

Bow Walker Guest

Thanks for the tip J_T, I'll try that for sure as I do shoot the Euro method of one over and two under.

I can't get my head around softer spined arrows for longbows though. Has it got to do with the flex of the shaft as it leaves the bow (archer's paradox) regarding traditional as opposed to compound?

I shot cut-down GT 7595's (28.5") today - without the benefit of a nocking point on the string - and they seemed to fly pretty darned good. While shooting I did pay particular attention to nocking the arrow in a somewhat level position and this seemed to be the better spot.

All this is just preliminary shooting though.

I certainly appreciate all the input thus far, too.