Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: what's your archery tackle

Redneck.... how are you liking those Slick trick broadheads? I made the switch to fixed blade for this year but went with Magnus Stingers over the Slick tricks as I couldn't find too much info on the slick tricks. How do they fly? Do they group with your feild points? And how durable are they in your experience?

Thanks for any feedback!
    Chris

PS...welcome to the site!
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Welcome Greybark to the site. It's good to have your knowlege re traditional bows.
    Todd

I see some of you guys are using drop-away rests. Do they work as advertised or is the prong style (tm hunter) just as good. If you were to get drop-away what would be your choice. There are so many out there now. Does arrow choice carbon/aluminum make a difference while using a drop-away.
    Thanks Todd

Nails, In my opinion the drop aways are far superior to the regular prong style rests for a couple reasons.

1. They are much more forgiving of form flaws as the arrow is not being guided by the rest after the first couple inches, so if you torque a little it will not show much effect with the drop away.

2. As fletch clearance is not an issue with a properly set-up drop away you can go to large fletches with a VERY aggressive helical to better stabalize your broadheads. You could even go to a 4 fletch helical set up if you wanted. With a prong rest and aggressive helical it can be pretty much impossible to eliminate fletch contact.

Only one I have used so far is the Cavalier Avalanche....was easy to set up and has been dependable so far on both mine and my wifes bows. I have a Trophy Taker Shaky hunter coming that will go on my hunting rig, and have heard nothing but good things about it, so we will see. Another drop-away that a lot of guys in our club are using with great results is the NAP Quicktune 4000, haven't heard any complaints about this rest either.
    Again this is just my opinion but everyone I know that went to a drop-away have said they wouldn't ever go back to a conventional rest. Now all that being said, I do not know first hand how effective they are for a finger shooter like yourself....I have never seen a finger shooter at any shoot using one....gotta think there must be a reason for that.

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Willy thanks, I have heard that drop aways are the new wave for rests. I could be possibly getting a new rig. If I do I may completly change to using a release. I have read about NAP and trophy taker being popular models. Sometimes the stickbows make more sense it's not as complicated. I already got my finger tab, I even made it too.
    thanks again for the info
    Todd

I was afraid to post for all the heat I'm about to receive.

Old Jennings forked lightning 55lb
    2117 GGIIXX
    some spring loaded sheetmetal rest (POS) been thru 4 so far
    I have a release (hate it)
    3 blade NAP mechanicals 125grain / fixed blade with twin mechanical backups
    Day-glo pins

I practise on vaccum cleaners and beer boxes 10 min before we go hunting. Only other 3-D time is gophers in summer.

The Slicktricks work great, if your bow is well tuned they will fly with the field points. I haven't shot anything with them, but hear they do major damage as they pass thru.

You see Archive nobody has stained you for your rig, However your choice of targets.
    I practise on vaccum cleaners and beer boxes 10 min before we go hunting. Only other 3-D time is gophers in summer.
    Is there a story behind using vacums as targets, beer boxes I can see even gophers. Using vacums you just opened up yourself to .............. whats a better target an upright or canister type.
    It's good to have you with us with your good sense of humor.
    Todd

Vaccum VS Jamie

It all started with tequila.

All the carpet got ripped out of a friends cabin and replaced with commercial vinyl tile. The vaccum had been "saved" because it was "useful" even tho there was no carpet anywhere anymore.
    2 years later: Well the thing made noise but wouldn't suck grouse feathers up off the floor so it got thrown off the front porch. My friend is so brave he runs out the door and stomps on it only to have it roll out from under him and lay him out flat on his back. He got his bow and let 1 fly but the arrow bent and glanced off. So having kicked his ass it went back into the cabin to be loathed for another day.
    4-5 months later: The hated Electro-Lux is thrown about the yard, swung into trees, rode over by motorcycles and still it makes a grinding noise.
    Round 2 - Vaccum VS Jamie. This ones a fixed fight. Struggling with the shame from his previous defeat, the vaccum is set ontop a 5 gallon oil pail. It took 2 fixed 100gr broadheads to the motor and 1 to the filter bag but the light still came on when plugged in. It had to be "purified" by fire that evening.
    And that's how Electro-Lux got to be a good sport.

The Slicktricks fly great!! I haven't shot them much but they seem quite tuff. I can post some links to reviews for you.
    http://www.bowzone.ca/modules.php?op...tent&id=34

http://www.broadheadtests.com/mechvsfixed.html

http://www.slicktrick.net/