Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tuning a Longbow?

Re: Tuning a Longbow?

Hopefully that remark will get you out shooting your stick again!!! I hope..

Thats a sweet looking Bow there BW ...

as for the weight discreptancy ... they are hand made .... did you measure from the front of the riser or the rear ... could be a discreptancy in scales .... I know that my personal hand held draw scale measures light my 60 pound 101st for example when maxed out measures only 55# peak weight ... the Birth cert says 61 and 4 other scales I have tried say anywhere from 54 to 62 .... that said I build my 3d arrows for a 62 pound bow (313 grains total weight) at 29" draw I get about 310 fps (IBO rating is 320 something ...) but thats for a differant thread

I would imagine that the weight would settle out a bit after use .... also how preloaded are your limbs??? I thought I read something about string twisting to get back to BH spec ?
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

That is a nice unit there! 57lbs is a little high. could be the scale but, if it feels uncomfortable it probably isn't the scale. It will loose a bit of wieght after it's shot in. Pass a couple hunderend arrows through it and it will probably come down to 50-55 It'll never loose 10 pounds though. it would have to be re-tillered if you want a 45(ish)lbs bow.
    He who goes to bed with itchy bum, wakes up with smelly finger.

Bow Walker Guest

I talked with Jim and he says that the bow will likely lose about 3lbs max after a lot of shooting. He wants it shipped back to him for evaluation and/or replacement. He wants to "make it right". Gotta love that.

Can I expect to pay more customs duty when the bow crosses the border to me again?

BTW - the string did stretch another 1/4" overnite. Seems it's made of "Hemp that is bow-quality". Just when I'm getting to know this bow it's gotta go back!

you shouldnt as long as you and "Jim" state that the bow is warrantee /repair .... expect some sort of brokerage fee tho depending on who you use to ship

I reccoment post office ... 5 bucks typically for brokerage ...
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Bow Walker Guest

Yeah Mike, I learned early on that the USPS is the cheapest way to go - and, very often the fastest to boot!

I'm packaging her up today and will go into the P.O. tomorrow to start the process. I'm missing the "plinking" already.

BTW, has anyone ever read the book titled "Traditional Archery" by Sam Fadala? It's an older book, but the info is still very relevant today. Tons of info on longbows and recurves, arrows, gloves/tabs, strings, and shooting. Makes for a great read even if you're not a traditional bow shooter.