Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tuning a Longbow?

Re: Tuning a Longbow?

It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

BW You nailed it right on the head with the archers paradox comment. most(if not all) long bows and even a lot of recurves are not center shot. true center shot bows(like compounds and some recurves) will fire stiffer arrows as they don't need to flex around the riser.

As for your bow string. It's a flemish twist I'd assume with that much stretch. I twist my own strings. I twist them quite tight when I'm doing it too. I usually get about 1/2"-5/8" of stretch out of it before it settles in.
    If you have already got 1/2" out of'er she's probably settled in.
    If you leave it strung over night it will get most if not all the stretch out.
    I string mine up, wax it up, draw it a dozon times and set it in the corner over night. Next day I serve it. I don't find it stretches anymore after that.

As for leaving your bow strung. For all wood bows like yours, it will last much longer if left unstrung when not in use but, leaving it strung for long periods (ei: all day) won't kill it. I would imagine the 8 hour deadline Jim gave you would equal a day hunting type thing. All wood bows WILL take "set" after a while. meaning the bow will slowly start to keep the profile of a strung bow. So the more you keep it unstrung the better.

Post a pic of that sucker!

Regards, Matt.

Bow Walker Guest

horshur - I'd forgotten how the string on a finger-shot bow goes "sideways" before going towards the riser! Took that cool video to remind me. That movement of the string imparts a heckova lot of paradox into the arrow as it begins its journey.

The one where the arrow almost wraps itself around the riser before clearing the shelf is particularily interesting.

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by M@B View Post
    BW You nailed it right on the head with the archers paradox comment. most(if not all) long bows and even a lot of recurves are not center shot. true center shot bows(like compounds and some recurves) will fire stiffer arrows as they don't need to flex around the riser.

As for your bow string. It's a flemish twist I'd assume with that much stretch. I twist my own strings. I twist them quite tight when I'm doing it too. I usually get about 1/2"-5/8" of stretch out of it before it settles in.
    If you have already got 1/2" out of'er she's probably settled in.
    If you leave it strung over night it will get most if not all the stretch out.
    I string mine up, wax it up, draw it a dozon times and set it in the corner over night. Next day I serve it. I don't find it stretches anymore after that.

As for leaving your bow strung. For all wood bows like yours, it will last much longer if left unstrung when not in use but, leaving it strung for long periods (ei: all day) won't kill it. I would imagine the 8 hour deadline Jim gave you would equal a day hunting type thing. All wood bows WILL take "set" after a while. meaning the bow will slowly start to keep the profile of a strung bow. So the more you keep it unstrung the better.

Post a pic of that sucker!

Regards, Matt.
    This particular bow does have a cutout - although it isn't cut as far as center shot. That's probably why I can get away with shooting the stiffer arrows than what would be "normal" for the poundage (45-50 @ 28").

When I checked the bow this morning, after leaving it strung overnight, it had relaxed back to a 6.5" brace height from the 7" I had twisted it to last night. Seems that the string was in no way pre-stretched before being shipped........

...and yes, the bow is beginning to acquire a bit of a "set" from being strung. Not a definite set from which it can't relax, but a noticeable one. If the gerschtunken weather would co-operate I could at least get out there and shoot the string in. Much more fun than sitting and watching the bow get a permanent set. BTW, I have no intention of leaving it strung for any longer than I am either shooting or hunting with it.

There are (as I recall) two types of strings for traditional bows, Flemish Twist, and ...(I forget the other one). What are the differences? Is one better than the other? Is one for Recurves and the other for Longbows?

Is it difficult to make a bow string for longbows?

I can make you a flemish for you if you like

A true flemish is a three ply string twisted as it is built.A handlaid string is a 2 ply string that is somewhat quicker and easier to build.
    The true flemish is a better string as the individual plies lay into each other tighter and bond better making it less bulky and quieter when shooting.
    Last edited by Blacktail; 11-19-2009 at 08:02 PM.
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington

Hey BW, I would assume that the string will countinue stretching if it was twisted fairly loose. As I said before, when I twist mine up, I twist them very tight. My fingers are on fire after twisting one up!!lol! So I would think that's why I only get very minimal stretch with my strings. Yours will stop stretching eventually, I promise.

There are two types of strings, the traditional flemish twist and the endless loop string. Endless loop strings are used on alot of "modern" bows. they're even used on compound bows with cables. I'm not sure how they string really new compunds that don't use cables as I'm by no means an expert on compound bows.
    Both strings have their place and their benefits. Endless loops strings are very easy to make. you can make them to the exact lenth you want. There is Zero "break in" period. you can make a pile of them in no time so you have enough strings to last a life time while you are watching the hockey game.
    The cons of this style of string are: Serving! there is soooo much serving involved for both loops and the middle of the string. Also durablility, they are nowhere near as durable as a flemish twist.

Flemish Twist pro's: Durable. plain and simple. wax'em enough they'll last a very long time.
    Very little serving involved(I don't know why this is an issue with me but, I hate serving!) Once settled in they are as stretch free as any string. Not to mention that they look bad ass.
    Con's: Harder to make, longer "break in" period.

I personaly make alot of both but, all my personal bows have flemish twist strings. Why? simple, the durablity. One less thing to worry about when I draw on a critter(and they look bad ass....did I mention that before?).

As for the set your bow is taking. Don't worry about it. it will probably take a little more set(being a new born) then it'll settle and take little to no set after it's broken in(if cared for properly).
    He who goes to bed with itchy bum, wakes up with smelly finger.

One more thing. making a bow string isn't hard. it takes a little practice but hard, not really. PM me if you need a string made up.
    He who goes to bed with itchy bum, wakes up with smelly finger.

Bow Walker Guest

I finally got a pic of the bow (as requested), so here goes.

74" of pure fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Onesock View Post
    Your shooting needed improving!!!!!!LOL
    Is that a threat to do a few 3Ds next year
    If you're going to find tracks you better make tracks!

Bow Walker Guest

..and yes - that's my dog's bed. I got her permission (as per the "pussy whipped hunters" thread).

I measured the weight of the bow - listed as 45 - 50 lbs @ 28 inches inches - by using a hanging electronic scale and a draw indicator arrow. I slowly pulled down on the bow and took note of the weight when I reached 28 inches. The weight shown on the scale was 57 lbs., verified by a co-worker.

Is that normal? I'd ordered a 45-50 lb bow, and that's what is written on the riser. But I think there's been a mistake, or do the bows "relax" into their proper weight range after a bit?

I've shot about 20 - 24 arrows from the bow (due to the pissin' rain keeping me indoors) and am finding it a tad uncomfortable.

Any thoughts?