Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shotgun Recommendation?

Re: Shotgun Recommendation?

Quote Originally Posted by dutchie View Post
    I would look into the Maveric... it is cheep and it shoots just as well as the 870 or the mossberg 835/500

With that being said there is a reason that there are so many 870's made and so few for sale... They truly are almost indestructable.

IMO the only way you will get any more reliability then an 870 is getting a Xtrema 2 or SBE2 and properly break them in.

I have shot them all but I have never owned a single one of the above mentioned guns.

Dutchie
    Holy Shiite, comparing an Xtrema or SBE to an 870 for reliability, come on???? What an insult to Remington! K

huh? super black eagle 2 is a much better shot gun than any remington could ever want to be

Quote Originally Posted by f350ps View Post
    Holy Shiite, comparing an Xtrema or SBE to an 870 for reliability, come on???? What an insult to Remington! K
    I am not worried about insulting a gun maker.

on a budget i would get the Mavrick, if i had a bit more i would get the 870... and if i had alot more i would get the Xtrema 2 over anything.

I have shot 2 870s and i got a jam in one of them... I have shot 3 different SBE2 and and 2 different Xtrema 2 have never had issues... all shooting trap or skeet.

I own a SX2 and it will not cycle target round reliably while shooting skeet so maybe remmington deserves it?!

All rhetoric aside, I think that the Mavrick($200) or the 870 ($450) is going to be your best bet unless you win the lottery then get a Xtrema 2

Dutchie

1 more vote for the Maverick here. Get the 18.5 and the 28" barrels and you are pretty much covered for anything. You could spend more money if you wanted to but I'm not convinced that you have to.

the older 870 are better than newer 870.i have new 870 and it jams with low brass shell.

Well, according to the variety of opinions from the group, it seems like picking the right shotgun is very much like picking the right women. Each one has their own innate beauty, and makes us happy in different ways.

Of course, much like a woman, a shotgun is much more dangerous and fun when loaded
    Drinking rum before 10 a.m. does not mean you are an alcoholic, it means you are a pirate.

best bang for your buck is the 870 express combo hands down. I agree that they are a bit prone to rusting when your sitting in the rain waiting for the ducks to come in but with regular cleaning and some oil its a non-issue. plus if your only hunting ducks every now and then i wouldn't worry too much about it. I have an 870 express with 18" barrel for keeping the "undesirables" out of the campsite and killing old refrigerators. For the ducks I went out and bought an 870 super-mag with waterfowl camo this winter and have been using it so far this season and man oh man is it an awesome piece of kit. Ive also had the displeasure of firing 3 different mossberg shotguns. all of which were brand new or close to it and let me say I will never ever even consider buying any mossberg product. they felt cheap, the action was stiff (even after a good break-in period) and not much to look at. I was not impressed to say the least. anyways, 870 combo; buy it and you WILL NOT regret it

I have the Rem 870 express in 3.5 inch super mag with waterfowl camo, bought it new 2 years ago and its trash. Really regret not spending the extra bucks to get a true wingmaster. Every time i fire it, the chamber opens up 3/4 of the way and usually drops the second shell out the bottom. Also, the finish where I hold it has worn right down to the white plastic. This gun has no idea how close it is to ending up in the bottom of a ditch.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer John View Post
    I have the Rem 870 express in 3.5 inch super mag with waterfowl camo, bought it new 2 years ago and its trash. Really regret not spending the extra bucks to get a true wingmaster. Every time i fire it, the chamber opens up 3/4 of the way and usually drops the second shell out the bottom. Also, the finish where I hold it has worn right down to the white plastic. This gun has no idea how close it is to ending up in the bottom of a ditch.

You have a pump gun where the action opens 3/4's of the way when you fire it? I've heard of autoloaders not cycling all the way but this is a new one to me. Can't say i've seen that from either of mine or my buddies'. As for switching to a Wingmaster; It's the same action so if you didnt like one 870 getting one with shiny metal and wood probably isn't going to solve your problem

I got an 835 Ultra for the 3.5" shells on geese! Magic!!
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."