Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kent Steel misfires

Kent Steel misfires

I've switched up to Kent this year for waterfowl, so far out of about 5 boxes of shells I've had two misfires. Anyone else having any issues with Kent shells?
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Kent Steel misfires

I think I had one, but it's the first in 3 years with Kents. Did the shell get wet, sitting the bag for a bit, or a freshie?

I had one 3 1/2 inch that was fresh that popped and I saw the steel leave the barrel almost like there was a primer but now powder in the shell, same thing happened with a 3 inch shell a couple weeks later while shooting at a duck and it barely made a sound sending the steel out the barrel. Not sure if the second shell was wet or not as I had some last weekend and new shells together. We had a lot of rain but I wouldn't think enough to cause the inside of the shell to get wet. You would think that if the shell was designed for waterfowling that it should be somewhat waterproof.

BCWF

From what I read and heard Kents are bad for getting wet. Not much waterproofness at all. Some say if you have enough moisture it destroys them.?. Sounds like they kill pretty good though.

jr.
    Last edited by longshot; 11-14-2009 at 09:13 PM.

Never had a problem with Kent shells in 4 years of waterfowling. I shoot them almost exclusively in both 3" and 3 1/2" steel and I have never had a misfire or a dud. I hunt mainly over salt water and have found the Kents to be very consistent and reliable. And they seem to kill birds.

There is no doubt they kill birds it's just weird I got two misfires in the span of two weeks and not from the same size or shot of shell.

BCWF

I think you got a bad batch Marc. I haven't shot any from this year's order, but I usually shoot 1 1/2 - 2 cases of Kent Fasteel every season, my buddy probably shoots 3 cases a year and we have never had an issue. I also cut apart various shells and looked at the shot. The Kents definitely had rounder and more consistent shot than the Win Dry-Loks or the Federal steel shells. Some of those cheap shells are loaded with steel that looks more like slag than shot.

Time to load your own, gentlemen!
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Time to load your own, gentlemen!
    I used to reload my own but it's now cheaper to buy then reload for steel shot.

BCWF

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I used to reload my own but it's now cheaper to buy then reload for steel shot.
    Cheap is good, except when they dont' make a BOOM! I guess you get what you pay for...
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!