Thread: Newly painted 10-22

Newly painted 10-22

I recently read a few threads about painting rifle stocks on a different site. Looked like fun so I decided to try it on my old Ruger 10-22 with a wooden stock. It was a fairly straight forward procedure and I think it turned out pretty good. I had a few spray cans kicking around so I just used what I had. White and grey. My only concern is that the paint will probably chip and wear off over time. Oh well, I dont care its an old gun with a cheap scope. Now I'll probably use it more. If anyone else has painted their gun feel free to share a picture and any advice on choice of paint and methods used.

Last edited by FORKHORN; 11-11-2009 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Pic didnt work

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Newly painted 10-22

I've never painted a gun stock, but when I got my new Cooey .22 repeater many years ago, I took off the factory varnished finish and spent the whole summer rubbing it with boiled linseed oil. I was surprised how well it turned out after umpteen coats of oil rubbed in by hand.
    They'll never end hunting...may make it illegal, but they'll never really kill that way of life!

Quote Originally Posted by FORKHORN View Post
    I recently read a few threads about painting rifle stocks on a different site. Looked like fun so I decided to try it on my old Ruger 10-22 with a wooden stock. It was a fairly straight forward procedure and I think it turned out pretty good. I had a few spray cans kicking around so I just used what I had. White and grey. My only concern is that the paint will probably chip and wear off over time. Oh well, I dont care its an old gun with a cheap scope. Now I'll probably use it more. If anyone else has painted their gun feel free to share a picture and any advice on choice of paint and methods used.

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/u...h/IMG_1821.jpg

Good job, it looks nice and like clean job.

Looks good.
    My uncle did one up for my grandmother years back useing some textured spray. She liked it and I thought so too. Sorry no pic.
    CARNIVOROUS MAXIMUS

Looks pretty cool, I like that you did the scope too.
    First--Know the land-know your prey.

I used rhino lining on an enfield, it worked good and gave the stock a modern look and a bit of texture ,a friend of mine liked it so he bought it from me ill try and get a picture next time i see him

I did this shotgun in the spring, and its seen a fair share of abuse. Alot of lessons learnt, that being need to sand down every thing a lot more, and find a primer.

Thanks for sharing Gope. I like the pattern. Is the paint on the barrel affected by heat after you shoot?

not that ive noticed, the barrel is in better shape then the rest of the gun. just used krylon camo paint from walmart

That looks good forkhorn