Thread: Information on MU 4-38 and 4-39

Information on MU 4-38 and 4-39

Hi, I am considering a late November hunt to MU 4-38 or 4-39 which is north of Revelstoke and toward Mica dam. I have never hunted this area but want to explore new areas and this caught my attention.
    What sort of weather conditions should I expect in the last week of November? Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on where to hunt in these areas?
    I would appreciate any advice and ideas you can give me.
    Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Information on MU 4-38 and 4-39

Quote Originally Posted by Jhors View Post
    Hi, I am considering a late November hunt to MU 4-38 or 4-39 which is north of Revelstoke and toward Mica dam. I have never hunted this area but want to explore new areas and this caught my attention.
    What sort of weather conditions should I expect in the last week of November? Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on where to hunt in these areas?
    I would appreciate any advice and ideas you can give me.
    Thanks!
    Expect full blown mid-winter conditions in that part of the country at that time of year. If you are looking for moose be aware that the number of LEH authorizations is not representative of the population density. The program up there is to reduce moose populations as part of the caribou recovery stratgey. Hunting and conditions will likely be difficult.

Thanks, I expected it would be full winter conditions. I am looking at deer hunting, not moose this year, but thanks for the information regarding moose in that area.

There are 3 places in the province that can and do have the greatest amounts of snow. The Big Bend (Mica Dam) area including Revelstoke is one of them. FYI, the other two are the Coquihalla and Stewart areas. Long time ago, before the highway went through Rogers Pass, the way to the east was on the Big Bend. They could not keep the road open due to the great amounts of snow, so the road was closed in November and did not reopen until June. Prior to the construction of the dam and subsequent valley flooding, one could drive that way from Revelstoke to Golden. It was very scenic and not a route if you were in a hurry. Way too much to see. It's too bad that area flooded, a lot of turn of the century and Hudson Bay Company fur trading history was lost. Alas, progress!
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Expect the snow to be knee deep and higher as you climb. Don't expect to road hunt unless you're like some of the locals and put up and down the pavement. Don't expect a lot of deer, but there are sometimes some good ones. They had a bit of a kill 2 winters ago. Expect it to be very steep. Wouldn't go any farther than downie at that time of the year.

Expect to work hard.

Have fun.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

I just got home from 4-38. I was trying hard to fill my LEH goat draw. Very little deer sign up high, but some down near Lake Revelstoke. No snow at lake level yet, but lots up high.

Anybody ever hunted goats in 4-39? I'm planning a few scouting trips this summer, no idea what kind of population though.