Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly sow with cubs at 15'

Re: Grizzly sow with cubs at 15'

A good time to start showing off that you are a human would have ben as soon as you saw her/him/it. No delay, no surprises.
    And it doesn't take yelling and screeaming, stand up and talk .....

all the while keeping the crosshairs steady on center of mass and safety off!
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

What would I have done? Before, or after I pooped my pants.

I had a similar thing happen a few years ago in the EK when I was hunting elk by myself.
    What I did was let the sow know that I was there that was the first thing I did.

I then started to yell and wave my arms calling out get out of here bear ,get out of here bear then the rifle safety came off and I had the rifle in the up ready position ,the sow with the two cubs then turned and run down the old road away from me.

Thanks for the responses. It was a situation I had'nt mentally prepared for and when it happened it seemed to happen so fast. My first thoughts were to let her pass by but as she got close I realized that when she comes to our track shes gonna stop, then what?
    Next time, if it ever happens again, I'll take some of the advice here and make the bear aware of our presence and hopfully scare it away before it gets so close.
    Good advice for everyone. Grizzlys are so fast when they decide to go into attack mode that even at 15' with a gun pointed right at it may not be enought to ensure a persons saftey.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlacktailStalker View Post
    Just be happy they werent the same ones that wanted to snuggle with Brambles and Rattler.

Too bloody funny. All kidding aside, you did exactly what I would have done. I would would have pulled the trigger, if she moved one more inch towards me at that range.
    Live to Hunt...

Opps! Yeah I would have let her know I was there before she got to 15'. Yikes, that is way too close......
    Live to Hunt...

I agree with others here, i would have let her know i was there as soon as i saw her, but you obviously made the right decision, your still here to tell the story.
    I'm just here to provide moral support......Hey nice (insert animal here)congrats.

In memory of you dad..."you always leave a campsite cleaner then when you found it"

There's only one thing in life that constitutes insanity..... continuing to do the same thing you have been doing but expecting different results.

I had that happen last year. Came back to the truck at last light, my buddy was 10' beside me and some trees in the regen to the right were moving like crazy. I was hoping it was a nice immy but then out walked a huge grizzly. He stared at us from 35 yards, I had the 7mm aimed at his face and my buddy had his 300 WM on his head. I prayed that he wouldnt charge us. Just then he raised his nose, sniffed, and began walking towards us!!! I I flinched my arm and the bear turned and took off like a flash. He must have been 500lbs plus. Huge. Cool experience though.

Naturally I'd offer myself as a snack to her and her cub.
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master
    -Gatherer of the Elk meat

You did right in not jumping the gun, no pun intended, and start pulling the trigger. In any dire situation not panicking is the key to survival.

Only thing I would have done different would be is to stand up right away and start talking to your buddy in a normal voice as though she wasn't there. Don't look directly at her, just keep her in your peripheral. If she charges then it's up to you to decide if it's on or not.