Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly sow with cubs at 15'

Grizzly sow with cubs at 15'

What would you have done?
    Buddy and me were up north of Cranbrook in the hills hunting for white tail and mulie, and on the last morning of our hunt we set up on the side of an abandoned logging road over looking a fresh cut block that had lots of deer walking through in the am and pm.

We had got settled in around 6am and were waiting for legal light when just as its getting light I see a bear come around a corner on the old road walking towards us from the right at about 30 yards.

My hunting partner is 20' to left of me with a 30-30 and I have a 7mm mag. Our track for crossing the road is directly in front of my pal.
    Well it turns out the bear is a grizzly sow with 2 good sized cubs in tow.

She's still walking towards us so I aim at her head and follow her in. As shes walking in I decide the best thing to do is to stop her before she gets to the scent of where we crossed the road.

At this point my buddy does not see what I see. He thinks I am aiming at a buck in the clearing so he's looking out in the clearing. As she gets in front of me I click off my safety and she stops in her tracks and turns and looks straight at me. My buddy glances over at me to see what the heck I'm doing cause he only sees 3 does in the clearing and now he see's we have a problem!

The sow and me are staring at each other and I'm thinking "Oh Sh** I don't want to shoot, please don't make any agressive moves or noises or your getting one in the face!" After a few seconds I move my head over cause I can't see her real well through the scope. At this point she turns to her cubs grunts and they all run back down the road where they came from!

It took a few minits for my heart to stop pounding and calm down!
    So, what would you have done?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Grizzly sow with cubs at 15'

All you can do is call the situation like you did.
    If it comes down to them or you, obviously...

Happens all the time.
    Just be happy they werent the same ones that wanted to snuggle with Brambles and Rattler.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

would have done the same thing you did.

Hopefully before I would have hoped to be a calm as you. No promises.

After I changed my pants.
    Last edited by steelhead68; 11-05-2009 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steelhead68 View Post
    Hopefully before I would have hoped to be a calm as you. No promises.

After change my pants.
    I thought I had handeled it pretty well till a big bodied 2 point wt came out on the clearing at 200 Yards 2-3 min after the grizz meeting. Took my time from a seated position and missed! Twice!
    A shot I should of made with ease
    Maybe it was the lump of fresh crap I was sittin on! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by BlacktailStalker View Post
    Just be happy they werent the same ones that wanted to snuggle with Brambles and Rattler.
    ROFL!!......

You played it right in that situation and it worked out fine.
    " You know you're in Goat country when it takes both arms
    and legs to climb and you can spit down on sheep". Patrick Stephens

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Extra points to whomever can post the best pic of Christys boobs!
    "When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Exactly what you did. As for the buck, well shit happens.

good on ya for not shooting....the only other thing ya could have done was to not give her a chance to get that close..Let her know you guys are there when you first see her...IMO

I think I would have made noise right from the start to get her and the cubs away. You'd wreck that bit of hunting for a half hour or so, but if she's lying dead on the road or you are getting chewed up, you've lost more than a bit of hunting.