Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly sow with cubs at 15'

Re: Grizzly sow with cubs at 15'

Quote Originally Posted by Deer_Slayer View Post
    I would have started talking to the bear in a childish/feminine voice...saying hello bear, I love you bear, now you be a good bear, I love you....worked well for Timothy Treadwell.
    Hmm ! Yea NOT so good ! BUT he was a Idiot and Deserved to get Eaten by the Bears ! jmo RJ

Quote Originally Posted by Brambles View Post
    Its healing up Pretty well, I don't have to keep a bandage on it anymore, its stopped weeping. Didn't get any infection, which was the biggest concern. Thanks for asking
    You were lucky.

Here’s a case report!
    A 49-year-old hunter was attacked by a grizzly bear while hunting elk in the foothills of the Canadian Rocky Mountains.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC446265/
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

I think you have great big balls. A stud monkey and I mean that with no disrespect although I think that you allowed the encounter to get much too close. At 15', the chances of a non fatal shot is quite high and that distance can be covered in the blink of an eye. And let's not forget to mention that the two "cubs" would have entered into the fray as well. Probably the moment you spotted her at 30 yards would have been a good time to give notice of your presence, that's definitely 10 yards inside my safe zone. They can cover that distance in a couple of heartbeats, slightly longer than the blink.
    You should also be aware that they have a tendency to go full circle in spite of the apparent retreat. I personally would have left the area.
    And I have to mention that GOD prevailed on your behalf causing you to miss the deer. Otherwise that bear and her protege would have come a calling. This time of year is extremely bad for bear interventions. They are looking for that last minute food top-up before going for a short slumber and they would have wrestled you for it. You know what that outcome would be, they like to eat undisturbed and things flopping around on the ground would be a disturbance.
    Oh yeah. Buy a Lotto Max this week.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

I would have made some noise while doing exactly as you did, glad u and your partner came back safe

You walked away from it and so did the bears. So I say you did right in that situation.

I had a similar encounter and when I gave a holler the bear got very aggressive. You never know. Each situation is unique. Glad you are ok.
    And the fact that you didn't shoot says a hell of allot about your self control. Hats off to you.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 11-19-2018 at 07:45 AM.

Now that there is no more shooting grizzly's we will have a lot more close calls. That's if the farmers and ranchers let it get out of hand.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

I would have done like you did..hope like hell the sow doesn't do anything aggressive...pull the trigger as an last resort. head back to truck for clean britches afterwards...
    Firearms and fishing rods, my idea of a good time!

I wonder, if someone were to suffer serious injuries or perhaps death due to a grizzly attack, do you suppose that the government could be sued? I am thinking sooner or later this will come to pass as the grizzly population increases and their fear of man decreases.
    I think that the Grouse Grind would be a likely place for it to happen. I know I know. That already happened out in never never land beyond hope but we don’t count.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hURgA_BNSGc
    just a short little video to give you an idea just how fast a grizz
    really is. hopefully it hasn't already been posted

ive seen 3 grizzly in last 3 years
    never seen them before that