Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wolf Hunting

Re: Wolf Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by shoot to kill
    Chase them on to a frozen lake with a sled and run em over with the sled and pin one and then shoot it. That's what an oldtimer told me he used to do in Northern BC.
    and thats not hunting thats just being plain stupid...
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer
    Posted on here before but here it is again.
    Take your house cat and tie him to a stake with some slack and then freeze the stake in the middle of a frozen lake. Wait a while until his howling brings in the pack. You have to be fast otherwise you can't re-use the cat. Mike
    Sounds like Old Timer has been hanging out on the Small Game Forum at accurate reloading! Fred
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer
    Posted on here before but here it is again.
    Take your house cat and tie him to a stake with some slack and then freeze the stake in the middle of a frozen lake. Wait a while until his howling brings in the pack. You have to be fast otherwise you can't re-use the cat. Mike
    But even if he's fast enough, I still don't think the cat can be used again. It must be scared the #$%^ out of it.

In all seriousness the method Firebird explained is the only way I have ever heard of that didn't involve bait.
    I am not the oldtimer in shoot to kill's post Mike
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills

Thanks for the info. If using calls, which calls would I be more successful with?
    Laws are made by man, Money can change it

They react to the rabbit/hare distress just like yotes do. That is the most common predator call on the market and almost any outdoor shop including Canadian Tire will have a selection. You can also find a fawn in distress call at any shop which works as well.

Coyote Howls are also effective and if you happen to hear wolves howling within a Km or so, let out some yips howls. Wolves will come in if they are not on the chase at the moment. They do not tolerate Coyotes and kill them at any opportunity.

Wolves are easier than most of the predators to call in. They don't hang up as much as the smaller preds because they are the top of the food chain during winter and may get an extra snack on a kill if there is a yote or a lynx. They are just not afraid like the others are. They tend to come straight in unless they've been called before.

The difficulty in calling in wolves is finding a set up where you are in calling range. They cover a lot of territory and can move quickly. Fresh sign doesn't necessarily mean they are nearby. Make sure you are away from your vehicle too.

LMAO. Well I have hunted wolves a fair bit on and off over the years and the most I learned was from being with a friend who was goverment predator control officer, a CO with whom I spent days helping dispose of livestock predators. Some tips;

- As previously mentioned drive or fly around and glass for trails, look from the edge of hills, don't silouette yourself.
    - Loook for ravens flying around, as there may be a kill.
    -Wash all your cloths with a oderlss soap for this purpose. Then place them in a plastic bag. Put on your cloths in the field so not to pick up house and truck odors.
    -Use a good winter camo including your face and rifle.
    - Wash your body with a odorless soap for this purpose before you go.
    - If you really want to rid body odor, shave your pits.
    - Don't smoke that day or eat stong foods.
    - Check trails to see how often they use them.
    - Don't walk in the tracks as they can smell your boots and FO.
    - Watch the wind and stay down wind. Thats keeping the wind in your face.
    - Dont touch anything in or by their tracks as your gloves and hands have odors.
    - Clean your rifle of oils and grease as they have odors particularly WD 40. Graphite powder can be used in the action.
    - Practice your long range markmanship skills.

Wolves are smart and cunning and will FO at the slightest thing that doesn't smell or look right. They have excellent smell, sight and hearing and can detect the slightest smell, movements or sounds. In winter sounds travel faster and farther.

I think you get the general idea. Most of all good luck. Let us know how you make out, I mean hunting.

How do I know, my personnel daily record is 7.

BTW way chasing wolves by any means other than on foot is a offence.
    THE FEW THE PROUD, SEMPER FI

Anyone ever tried wofl hunting on the island?
    Si vis pacem para bellum
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

OneSHot,

Good points there Bud I myself would rather hunt Wolves then Deer or Moose. To me it is THEEE hardest animal out there to hunt, I myself find where they are making dens or there tracks look like HWY 1 and hang around that area. One good pointer I learned from the Rancher that I shoot them for, told me a Wolf goes on a 21 day trip. Hmm you might ask well if you see a wolf in one area and put the jump on him he is out hunting and will be back in that area in 21 days. It has helped me, Bagged two so far shot at many more, oh and let me tell you one thing I couldn't get over how fast them things run when lead is flying at them.

OneShot,

One thing about smell, my first one that scared the Crap out of me as I was waiting for my hunting buddy, I was sitting having a cigar and the Wolf walked up to about 40-50 feet away from me. It was so close I could hear it sniffing me.

Good Luck guys, if I wasn't stuck in the city right now I would be in the Boo plugging them huge dogs.

SW

Of course you can go through all the trouble of shaving your pits and balls but the most important thing is to be aware of the wind and make sure you can see down wind far enough to get a shot before they smell you. Like most animals, no matter how much you try to mask your scent, if they are close and down wind, they will smell you.

Calling gives you the advantage of screwing with their defences. Their hunger and greed gets the better of them. They are competing with their own pack even. First animal in gets to eat until he gets his ass booted off the kill.

Most people who have called wolves in with calls duplicating prey will tell you they don't sneak in like the smaller preds.

I managed to get inside a pack of 6 or 7 this year with my bow. When they took off, I was successful in calling them back to the point where I had to chase them off. I wasnt going to lose an ass cheek so they could figure out I wasnt a moose. It was quite the thrill to say the least.

My count for 2005 was 13 wolves seen. That's more than the combined 3 years previous. Do the province a favour, get out and hunt wolves. Even if you don't nail any, it will at least help push them farther back. They are fast learners.

How do I know, my personnel daily record is 7.
    Holy crap!!!! That is just awesome!!
    Last edited by boonerbuck; 01-14-2006 at 11:39 PM.