Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time out for waterfowl

First time out for waterfowl

Went to the Pitt marsh early this morning with two of my friends. None of us had hunted waterfowls, and my friends were both bow hunters for the past. So we only had a 20" trench gun 12ga which is my bear defence gun only. We all thought that was crazy but gonna see how a 20" shottie would do, but our advantage is that one of us has a canoe. Yahoo!

So we got there around 6:30 in the rain. My friend said that the rain was gonna deter a lot hunters today. Well obviously that wasn't the case. Right after we got there, two more cars showed up, and one had a canoe on its top too. Everybody was laughing in the dark, yeah, today was gonna be a fun day!

We headed to the centre of the marsh land in our boat. I was sitting right in the middle with my gun, and friends were paddling. We didn't have any idea where we were gonna head to until we heard the first gun shot when the first light broke in. Damn it, we got to be faster! So we just made turn onto the first water entrance. We heard the ducks far away and really couldn't see any of them. So I said I'm gonna shoot anything I see and could shoot.

Not long there came a flock of coots on the water. None of us had any idea how the birds were spooked in this area. So Jamie and Marshal started darting the boat towards the coots. I guess the coots were still not totally awake and shocked to see our canoe charging towards them. When I saw the distance narrowed to about 30 metre, I pumped my gun, Jamie got down to the bottom of the canoe with Marshal keeping paddling. The coots started taking off. As soon as they were in the air, I rapidly let 3 shots out by pumping the gun like nuts. Two dropped. What a start of the day!

After we got three coots, the birds started being spooked and figuring out how to deal with us. They wouldn't let us get within 50 yards. So we decided to avoid the open waters and get into smaller and windier channels. So we were still able to get another two. However, the shots obviously didn't look as powerful as we thought if we shot at the birds above 30 metres. At first we thought it might be because of the distance. But after we lost two beautiful ducks even after they were definitely hit by the pellets at about 30 to 35 yards, we figured there was something wrong with our shot sizes. We used #4 and #5. One duck was hit by the pellets, and all of us saw the shock he took. For a second we all thought he's gonna drop as his wings stopped moving for a second, but he managed to regain his strength and slided into bush 60 metre away where we had no way to get in to find him.

So we finally came back home with 5 coots, and that wrapped up our day. I think next time we'll bring #2 and #3 shots to clean the house . My friend sare already budgeting for a 28" barrel for the next trip.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: First time out for waterfowl

... ouch.

Sounds like an interesting trip. You should try blinding the canoe and calling them in it's a real blast. That 28" barrel you talked about is a must. I use #2 steel and a modified choke seems to work the best for me. Just my 2 bits.

Yeah, I'm just starting, too, and shooting over decoys is definitely easier than pass-shooting. They're nice and close and moving slow. Not that I've tried jump-shooting from a canoe, so your mileage may vary...

Reliable down on Fraser and 16th had decoys for $50/dozen, if they still have 'em in stock... Of course, you need weights and cord on top of that. Mail-order from Alberta's about ten bucks cheaper, but then you pay $10 for shipping and don't get them before the end of hunting season...

For some reason I kinda doubt if calling is going to work in Pitt marsh because there're so many hunters in that small area and the birds are so spooked. We saw a lot of blinds at one spot and actually two guys sitting in one of them calling the ducks. They used decoys too. But the ducks didn't seem to be willing to get over their heads.

Red face Re: First time out for waterfowl

pass shooting with a defender, sounds like fun
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird
    pass shooting with a defender, sounds like fun

believe it or not, that was so much fun! Next time we're gonna change the tactics a little bit.

what do you do with coots? i never shot one. can you eat them?

where they old coots?
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

Quote Originally Posted by NEEHAMA
    what do you do with coots? i never shot one. can you eat them?
    I made a good soup out of them, and actually the size and the weight aren't as bad after I cleaned them out. I just stew the birds in the soup for hours with ginger and green onion. That smelled so good! But cleaning the feather is quite a bit hassle.
    Last edited by rollingrock; 01-09-2006 at 01:40 PM.