Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yummmm!!!

Re: Yummmm!!!

I like the formed for several reasons - it's easier (IMHO) to make, the spices get all through it instead of just on the surface, and probably best of all, I end up with more burger than I'm likely to eat every year, so it gives me something to do with the excess.
    "...the truth will make you free." John 8:32

Bow Walker Guest

Bro' J.........
    PM me and I will give you my shipping address so that you might send some down this way. Tasting Is Believing as they say
    Last edited by Bow Walker; 01-09-2006 at 07:03 PM.

I made the formed jerky before and just flattened it out between 2 sheets of wax paper with the rolling pin - peel off the top sheet and put your drying rack on it upside down and carefully flip it over and put it in the oven (I used a fine mesh bakers cooling rack) - dry to the desired consistency - remove and cut into strips. I think I just threw a bunch of spices into the ground meat (garlic powder, salt, brown sugar, maple syrup and some dark rum - more or less the same stuff for smoking salmon)

Jager, I think you better pour a little of that rum in a glass and test to make sure it's not gone bad. Heck, just to be sure I'd pour another glass to double check it. Wouldn't want your jerky turning out bad cause of bad rum would you?
    Last edited by johnes50; 01-09-2006 at 10:47 PM.

Hmmm, I'd have to say I like the sliced jerky better than formed, although I won't turn down jerky. Slicing across the grain gives a really chewy finished product, with the grain and you get stringy jerky, I perfer it when it's cut with the grain. My opa makes jerky by partially smoking it and I think he finishes it in an oven, whatever he does it's damn fine stuff. We've made jerky a few times at home in the oven, it's so much better than the bought stuff.

Just a further update, the peperoni sticks just came out of the oven, and they came out even better than the jerky did. Absolutely mouth watering!!

"...the truth will make you free." John 8:32

I can smell it from here,mmmmMMMM
    Todd

Just reading that makes my mouth water, i bet youre feasting tonite.

Quote Originally Posted by CHilko21
    Hmmm, I'd have to say I like the sliced jerky better than formed, although I won't turn down jerky. Slicing across the grain gives a really chewy finished product, with the grain and you get stringy jerky, I perfer it when it's cut with the grain. My opa makes jerky by partially smoking it and I think he finishes it in an oven, whatever he does it's damn fine stuff. We've made jerky a few times at home in the oven, it's so much better than the bought stuff.
    actaully u got that backwards across the grain would make it stringy with the grain makes a good chewy product...
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

Made some HOT venison jerky today! It jus came out of the oven and its sooo good!!!! I love it! Not much there though, probly east it all in like 2 minutes haha, but its pretty good!