Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Brambles and Rattler GRIZZLY ATTACK sheep adventure

Re: Brambles and Rattler GRIZZLY ATTACK sheep adventure

Thats wild.
    Will you guys hunt the same area again? You were obviously there for a reason (with an accompanying grizz tag maybe!) ?
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

Jeff;I think every hunter that crawls into his tent in sheep/grizzly country ponders the reality of an attack like this happening.The tent becomes a real liability in terms of defensive manouvers,I'd imagine.An exciting and frightening read all in one.I'm extremely pleased you both were able to walk away,Bob
    BCWF
    WSSOBC-Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlacktailStalker View Post
    Thats wild.
    Will you guys hunt the same area again? You were obviously there for a reason (with an accompanying grizz tag maybe!) ?

Oh I guarantee if they allowed Fall grizz hunting in region 4 I"d apply for a tag just to shoot that bitch.

Not sure about hunting there again, I'll have to think about it, I want to say Yes, I'll hunt it again, but I need time for it all to sink in. Its not worth leaving my son without a father and wife without a husband, I have another baby due in Late December. These, along with basic survival instincts are the things that go through your mind when your fighting for your life.

I need to absorb whats happened first.
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master
    -Gatherer of the Elk meat

So, so lucky those two bears decided to halt the attack.......who knows what the outcome should they have continued.

Sure appears to be a predatory event by your report.

Once again, I'm glad we have very few grizz here on the island......

Quote Originally Posted by 3Stones View Post
    Jeff;I think every hunter that crawls into his tent in sheep/grizzly country ponders the reality of an attack like this happening.The tent becomes a real liability in terms of defensive manouvers,I'd imagine.An exciting and frightening read all in one.I'm extremely pleased you both were able to walk away,Bob

Bob

Althought it sucked royally not being able to "swing freely" being bound in a tent and all, I do think it was the primary reason that we survived with relatively minor wounds. The bear couldn't see where exactly we were or where to place its bites, and being the two of us were hitting her from different sides I think it shocked her into a retreat.
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master

What can I say. Like others have posted you just lived every hunters night mare. Glad you guys made it out of there to hunt another day.

Did you talk to the local CO yet? Maybe post some signs back by where you parked your truck to let others know there is an aggressive bear in the area? Would a CO do this to warn folks?
    Last edited by Johnnybear; 10-15-2009 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnybear View Post
    What can I say. Like others have posted you just lived every hunters night mare. Glad you guys made it out of there to hunt another day.

Did you talk to the local CO yet? Maybe post some signs back by where you parked your truck to let others know there is an aggressive bear in the area?

Yes the CO's are on it and will put up signs immediatly, as well as their typical investigation to determine what the end result should be.
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master

Not sure about hunting there again, I'll have to think about it, I want to say Yes, I'll hunt it again, but I need time for it all to sink in. [/quote]

I wouldn't let the incedent stop you from hunting there. This could happen anywhere at anytime to anyone in grizz country.

Brambles I have not read every response so apologize if already asked. First good no one was seriously injured. A few thoughts was wondering since you guys said she followed your tracks if you think there may have been any scent left on your boots, cloths or packs from your previous kills.
    was wondering if you were on the side where your brother shot his ram or maybe were he missed the one,think you guys may have taken a deer there also, anyways I know on the side were he shot his ram in the past the trapper has put out his bait piles in oct so possible you unknowingly camped in the vicinity of it.
    Also wondered since you may feel it could have been a predatory attack have you reported to the COs for they have closed or marked areas in the past if they felt there was a threat.

holy sh8t!!! wow close call.glad to see you both made it back here to write this story.take it easy.
    majorguns