Thread: Pan Phillips movie

Pan Phillips movie

Here is a great little movie from the CBC archives on Pan Phillips and one of his last cattle drives from the home ranch to Quesnel. Anyone who has read "Grass beyond the mountains" by Rich Hobson will appreciate this film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9TRPOCAuE0

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Pan Phillips movie

That's quite entertaining. His son is still in that area.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

My dad and I had the pleasure of being introduced to him in Anahim Lake once...
    man of few words if he didn't know you. Would liked to have seen them put a film
    together of him on one of his famous long pack trains.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lew View Post
    My dad and I had the pleasure of being introduced to him in Anahim Lake once...
    man of few words if he didn't know you. Would liked to have seen them put a film
    together of him on one of his famous long pack trains.
    Lucky you.

Late May 1983-Eve & I were on our way to explore the country north of Redstone & as we approached Williams Lake it was announced on the radio that Panhandle Phillips(PP) had died from a heart attack at the young age of 72. If I recall it was at his ranch with his boots on while listening to the radio. His friends/clients thought he was playing his usual practical joke.
    PP was immortalized by Richmond Hobson(business partner/friend) in his 3 popular books.
    Hopefully one day will visit the Home Ranch.

A great read THE LEGEND OF PAN PHILIPS (1988 ) by Jack & Darlene Brown.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Pan used to end cattle drives at the Billy Barker..by twisting the top off the hooch bottle walking to the door and while throwing the cap into the street would loudly proclaim...THAT THE LAST TIME WE WILL NEED THAT..

After his funeral..a bunch of folks went to the Billy..and we're given small bottles of hooch. .and which they all proceeded to the door throwing the caps and loudly proclaiming..THAT THE LAST TIME WE WILL NEED THAT !

It was said that anyone walking past the Billy that day were in fear of losing their life for all the whiskey caps flying into the street. .
    Colorful character. .lots of memorable stories..
    Srupp

Buddy used to ride with him on the cattle drives, some great books to read if you have the time.

Only met Pan once shortly before he passed, my wife's family knew him well. I can count 3 of his offspring as friends. Ken, Dianna and Rob are all great individuals with a lot of their own stories to tell.

Dianna told me she wasn't impressed with being an actor when this was filmed but her Dad really played the role and enjoyed it immensely.

Thanks for posting this. My summer job in university was fly fish guiding throughout the upper Blackwater based at Tsacha - not far from Home Ranch. The area has a few legendary figures for sure.

It looks like Pan really enjoyed acting in the film.
    The World is run by those that show up.

Thanks for the link. That was interesting. I never met Pan but I did meet Diana and Robbie. Used to quadding back in that country. Very interesting area. Used to go in through Diana's ranch through the fields over the hill to Robbies place. Trail used to come out about 1/2 way down the airstrip. Then I got smart and took the Stinson in and just landed at the strip at the Pan Phillips fish camp where Robbie was.
    "HUUKED ON FONIKS WERKED FER ME!"