Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a scope

Need a scope

I've been looking at scopes online, and it looks like there's a wide range of price and (presumably) quality. I've got an older rifle that cost $300 so I don't want to spend a grand on a high-end rangefinder scope, but I don't want a foggy piece of crap either.

So what's the difference between, say, Bushnell's Banner Dusk & Dawn for $100, and something like a Zeiss Conquest for $1000? And more importantly, as a novice hunter with a WWII era .303, is it a difference I should be concerned with?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Need a scope

Well views will vary, but in part price does reflect quality only to a extent after that your paying for a name. Lots you guys will tell you to spend up to as much on optics as you did on your rifle. That being said all you ready need to be concerned with is will it hand your rifles recoil and still hold zero, is it clear, does it have a open or closed eye relief distance, and what kind of shooting/hunting are you doing which will determine magnification. If you don't want to spend a fortune but are willing to spend around or a lil more then what you paid for your rifle my suggestion is a bushnell elite 3200 or 4200. Go to a store that has a wide selection and look through a bunch

what No enfield is it? how do you plan on mounting the scope? and has it been bubba'd?

Last edited by 303Brit; 09-23-2009 at 10:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

Going though a bunch at a retailer sounds like a good idea, I'll do that.

The rifle is a P14 my grandpa bought when he came back from the war; it's recently had a new stock put on and looks pretty nice. I'll have to get a gunsmith to mount the scope as I have no idea how to go about doing that... or what a "bubba" is.

I don't want to sound like an ass, But if there is no holes drilled in it yet then don't drill any into it. I mean it's your rifle, but those are becoming hard to find unbubba'd. Bubba'd means barrels cut down, recievers drilled, stocks cut apart. If the Receiver, bolt, and barrel serials match then your best bet is to kept the rifle that way. In the mean time before you take it to a gunsmith check out http://www.enfield-rifles.com/default.asp and there are many more enfield lovers there that can point you in the right direction, Look at S&K for a scope mount, and mayb numrich

Last edited by 303Brit; 09-23-2009 at 04:03 PM.
    Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

Bow Walker Guest

Go to our sponsor(s)....Grouse River and/or Omineca Source for Sports.

Check out the Vortex line of optics - es[ecially their Diamondback 3-9x40 scope. The warranty is the best in the business. Repair or Replacement with absolutely no questions asked. Service is quick too.

Plus - for only $229 - you cannot beat it.
    Last edited by Bow Walker; 09-24-2009 at 09:19 PM.

Check out the Nikon scopes. I have the Prostaff 3-9 and I really like it. Super clear and bright, and a good price.

Thanks guys, I'll take a look at Vortex and Nikon. Prostaffs seem to have lots of good reviews.

303Brit: I hear you about not drilling the receiver, but unfortunately this rifle has in fact been bubba'd as you say; the barrel has been chopped and crowned and new sights and a new stock have been put on. I'm not sure if there's a reason to avoid drilling the stock at this point as it's definitely not all-original and it's historical value is already diminished.

A used Leupold is always a safe bet, I have one in 1.5x5

Sorry to here that if you want to keep as a sporter you fine to drill it, but if the receiver isn't drill and in good shape you could rebarrel it one day so a no drill mount would still be the way to go. Whatever you choose to do I hope you continue to enjoy your P-14

Quote Originally Posted by Knobbies View Post
    Thanks guys, I'll take a look at Vortex and Nikon. Prostaffs seem to have lots of good reviews.

303Brit: I hear you about not drilling the receiver, but unfortunately this rifle has in fact been bubba'd as you say; the barrel has been chopped and crowned and new sights and a new stock have been put on. I'm not sure if there's a reason to avoid drilling the stock at this point as it's definitely not all-original and it's historical value is already diminished.

I have a zeiss conquest 3.5-10x44 and i love it but i paid for it. My younger brother bought a leupold rifleman 3-9x40 and only paid $200us for it. My zeiss has slightly better clarity but the leupold has much better eye relief. For the price, the leupold is hard to beat.