Thread: How was your opener?

How was your opener?

So my hunting buddy and I are sitting in what was a corn field this year. we've put out the decoys and setup up our ground blind. Seconds into legal light I am putting shells into the BPS as 10 or so duck land in our decoys despite the rampant calling of the group in the other corner of the field. I should my gun and bang headshot on one and wound another, my partner cleans it up as they flush. Pretty good start right, barely got the guns loaded and there 2 ducks down. The day would wrap up with with me bagging 4 geese, and another duck. We could have done better but there were 3 groups in the fields we were in, but thats what happens in town. We put the chase on a big cock pheasant that was in the next field, but he lives to be shot another day. To bad my other hunting buddy stayed home with a bit of a cough.

Last edited by 303Brit; 10-11-2009 at 11:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How was your opener?

Well, personally my opener wasn't, I have to work at the barn mornings this weekend, maybe Monday after chores I'll get out.

However, John (Shotgunjohn) and his buddy and son of buddy headed out to a local corn field and did very well indeed. All 3 limited out and more geese kept pouring in as they were leaving.

Photographer John.

'Ol Dan and I did well both days. We tried to focus on mallards but had a couple widgeon in the bag both days.
    Shooting close to 10,000 targets this year in both PITA and practice has my shooting dialed in, shot my first triple of the year today and have 3 doubles so far too!

Maddy shows some rust and is a little out of shape.... but she did well both days and made some excellent retrieves in the long grass.
    Here's a couple pics:

Dan
    Buddi doing what she does best!

Nice Dan thanks for sharing, I'm thinkin of bring the Video Cam next time

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

Two man limit of geese on nice cloudy morning.
    Lots of shooting coming from the bay!
    No mallards came to the corn for Tommy and I. We need rain!
    And yes there are 10 geese, I'm a crappy photographer.
    Cheers, Field Marshal.

Opening day was beautiful. Started out by sleeping through my alarm but gon on the water just after sunrise. I too was a little rusty and spent half a box(grabbed the wrong box outta my car) to wind up with the smallest duck I have ever seen. Then while I was grabbing more ammo the tide jumped and I lost my duck calls. So if you find a lanyard with 4 or 5 call on it out at Brunswick Point, I miss them. After that I called it a day. This morn the bird were not moving like opening day but I managed to pull out my first limit of ducks by 11:00. I winged the first two and had to search for them but the rest I folded and dropped them in the water in front of me. The count was six widgeon, two mallards. Will post pics when I find the USB cord.
    "I would never sell you guys life insurance."

Thumbs up Re: How was your opener?

Opening day #37, up at 4:30 on the water before 5:30. Set-up and ready with 40 minutes to go. When legal time finally arrived we still couldn't see well enough to do any shooting for another 15 minutes. Finally we started hunting and had a limit of 5 Mallards 5 Widgeon and 6 Gadwall, before noon. I got two doubles and my partner got one, so it was a pretty good day. I just need to remeber to put the plug in the punt next time I go out.